Chapter 36: Wounds

Blood poured over Link's hands as he placed them on Zelda's wound. Carefully, Link eased Zelda down as she winced in pain, though she tried to keep a brave face. Link on the other hand was a mix of anger, pain, sadness, and relief, his face showing everything he was feeling. Trying to clear his head Link looked into Zelda's eyes, focusing on their deep wells of love and care, and began to heal the pulsing wound. However, the anger and sadness made the healing process slower, forcing Link to use his secret stone. In Link's mind old wounds began to resurface, threatening to rip Link apart. Trying to keep Zelda calm Link tried to keep his emotions in check but it was he who was panicking.

Link: It's okay, everything is going to be okay!
Zelda: Link-.
Link: I'm so sorry Zelda, this is my fault.
Zelda: It is not your fault, it was my choice. I couldn't let Azu die, he's so young.
Zelda winces in pain
Azu: It should have been me.
Zelda: Nonsense, now find Captain Hoz and get a status report for Link.
Azu runs off
Link: I shouldn't have stopped you from coming with me if you had-.
Zelda: If I had followed you more damage would have been dealt, I was needed here.
Link: It's a good thing I awakened Mipha's healing ability.
Zelda: Yes it is good. Link...how bad is it?
Link: The blade didn't go too deep but even after I heal this you will probably still feel sore.
Zelda: I never felt Miphas healing before, the pain is already fading.
Link: It feels like the pain is washed away, right? At least that's how I would describe it.
Zelda: That's exactly what it feels like.
Link sighs
Link: Zelda I'm-.
Zelda: Stop apologizing, this wound is not your fault. Darling, please don't blame yourself, forgive yourself. 
Link: I don't think I can forgive myself for this but I can try.

Having healed Zelda, Link carried her to their bed and told her to limit her movement. As Link left the house Azu approached with a look of disappointment and embarrassment. The Yiga attack had been repelled with minimal damage largely due to Zelda's efforts but there were wounded who needed Link's attention. But before tending to them Link first attended to his student's disappointment and doubts. Link told Azu he bore no blame in this, he wasn't ready to take on a Yiga assassin let alone a blademaster. After telling Azu to tend to Zelda if she needed anything Link met with Captain Hoz who showed him to the wounded. Seeing all the injured people further angered Link but there was a small degree of comfort. Captain Hoz confirmed the blademaster Link killed was the one leading the attack with a modified helm but this wasn't enough for Link. For the moment there was nothing more he could do than heal the injured still even Captain Hoz could see Link was troubled.

Captain Hoz: Link, are you alright? You seem distracted.
Link: They sliced her open, they hurt her and it's my fault.
Captain Hoz: Who, Princess Zelda? Azu told me what happened, awful news but you take the blame?
Link: Yes, she tells me it's okay and that I should forgive myself but I see her in pain and I can't do it.
Captain Hoz: I think I understand.
Link: It gets worse. I come here and see more damage the Yiga have done, more people they have hurt because I wasn't here to take the brunt of their hatred.
Captain Hoz: Do you really believe we would let you take on the Yiga alone? I know this is personal for you but I believe I speak for everyone here when I say we are here to support you.
Everyone nods in agreement
Link: The support is appreciated but the guilt will remain all the same.
Purah: The guilt remains huh?
Link: I didn't see you come in.
Purah: I checked in on Zelda now I've come to check on the soldiers, though they seem to be in good hands. However, I'm more worried about you now old friend.
Link: Had I been here Zelda never would have been hurt.
Purah: You were needed in the depth, no one knows that place better than you except maybe the Yiga.
Link: There, that's the last one healed, I would recommend the ones who received the worst wounds get some extra rest. While I'm grateful for the kind words Purah, right now they feel like bitter poison.

Trying to sort his head out Link assisted in repairing damaged buildings and sections of wall but he still couldn't forgive himself. Purah returned to Zelda telling her of Link's demeanor which bothered Zelda. Though Link tried his best to hide his thoughts Zelda knew he was still troubled. Getting dressed Zelda left the house, much to Purah's protest, in search of Link. It was sunset when Zelda finally found Link staring up at the statues of Rauru and Sonia.

Zelda: I should have guessed I would find you here.
Link: What are you doing out of bed? You need rest.
Zelda: I know I should be resting but knowing you are torn up like this hurts more than the Yiga's blade.
Link: You said I should forgive myself...but I can't, not for this.
Zelda: Do you remember what you told me about the champion's death, Hyrule's fall, Rauru and Sonia's deaths? Some things are meant to happen, what matters is how we act moving afterward.
Link: Still if I had been here-.
Zelda: Link we both fell for the Yiga's trap. I may be the one who was injured but I can see your mind is tearing itself apart. I can feel the anger building in you, let it go, stop dragging yourself down.
Link: I swore to protect you.
Zelda: And you did, yes the Yiag hurt me but you stopped him from doing greater harm. Come with me, you healed my body let me heal your mind.

Taking Link by the hand Zelda leads him back to their house. Zelda knew from experience whenever Link was losing it that being near was enough to calm him. Reaching the house Zelda led Link to their bed where they sat together, still as stone. Though Link still felt guilt he could feel his anger melting away, his sadness giving way to peaceful bliss. The loving touch of the princess brought healing to Link's mind making it whole again. Hours passed yet they did not move, falling asleep in each other's arms. The next morning Zelda woke up to a sweet smell that emanated from the kitchen and she knew her plan had worked, Link was more or less back to his usual self. As she moved Zelda felt the soreness Link had warned about but to her surprise, it wasn't as bad as she believed it would be. Joining Link in the kitchen Zelda could hear him humming one of his favorite cooking melodies. Link was deeply grateful for Zelda's comfort and as thanks he had prepared a delectable breakfast which Zelda enjoyed.