Chapter 32: Garden of the Fallen

Not much could be accomplished during the winter months, but Link and Zelda kept themselves busy. By the time the warmth of spring was felt Link had finished training the volunteers and placed them under Captain Hoz's command. With more well-trained people Captain Hoz and the Monster Control Crew were able to keep the monsters at bay though the reason for their recent coordination was still unknown. One morning Zelda was standing atop Castle Town's main gate feeling the warm spring sun and planning something important to her. Before the upheaval Zelda had wanted to organize a memorial garden for everyone lost during the calamity and in the wake of current events, Zelda was more determined than ever. Zelda had thought about asking Hudson for his assistance but a piece of her wanted to do it herself. Zelda asked Link what he thought about a memorial garden idea the previous night. Link liked it but suggested they include their apprentices in setting up the garden. It would serve as a stark reminder of the sacrifice of many in defending Hyrule. That morning Link searched for the tools while Zelda thought of the layout. She didn't want it to be a depressing reminder but one of honor and respect. When Link returned with the tools Zelda had made her mind up and together they gathered Karin and Azu and explained what they were doing. 

Zelda: So, this probably isn't something you expected to be doing but there is a reason behind it.
Link: Though you both have learned to look to the future it is important to remember the past.
Zelda: This garden, on top of being a nice place for our people to visit and relax, will be a place of remembering, a place to honor the fallen.
Azu: To honor the dead, but isn't that what the scattered memorial stones are for?
Link: Yes but this is for more than just the ones who died during the calamity, this will be for those who died in the past and those who die in the future.
Zelda: I intend to make it the duty of the royal family to maintain this garden personally.
Karin: And as your apprentices you want us involved.
Link: People will look up to you eventually, you have modesty now but we don't want you to lose it.
Zelda: Remember the past so you can learn from mistakes to make a better future. Poor leadership can lead to numerous deaths.
Link: All actions have consequences, good or bad. Just like the strike of a sword, you can not take back a poor decision only learn and compensate for them.
Karin: I see, so what would you like us to do?
Link: Azu, you and I will prep the ground according to Zelda's design.
Zelda: Karin, we will come in behind them and plant the seeds.

Following the design Link and Azu got to work preparing the ground and over the coming days they finished the first step. Zelda and Karin followed behind them with carefully chosen seeds that when grown would release a refreshing scent. Not wishing to be idle Link and Azu started their own project in secret. Though Link was as good as Hudson at carving stones, in their training Link discovered Azu had an eye for design. Azu following Link's description carved four statues that Link then placed in the corners of the garden each with its own engraving.

Azu: Sir, who are these individuals?
Link: These are the champions, the ones that piloted the Divine Beasts, my old friends.
Azu: So this is what they look like. 
Azu points to Mipha's statues
Azu: She is so pretty, her name was Mipha right?
Link: Yes and she was pretty and a good friend. (thought) I know I was more than that to you, I'm sorry I couldn't be what you wanted.
Azu: What is the big guy's name?
Link: That is Daruk, he was a good guy, always supportive. More importantly, he was a fierce friend.
Zelda and Karin walk up
Zelda: All done planting so what have...oh my, you made these?
Link: I described them and Azu did the actual carving.
Azu: Well Link did the engraving.
Zelda: They're...amazing! "Here Stands Chief Urbosa, Champion of the Gerudo. May she ever watch over her these lands.".
Link: They may not be as good as Hudson's statues but you did excellent work Azu, you should be proud.
Azu: To be part of this, I am very proud of the results.
Karin: It will take some time for the flowers to bloom but when they do it will be so pretty.
Hudson walks up
Hudson: Princess Zelda, when you have a moment I need to speak with you on something we found while clearing the castle. Oh, I don't remember making any more statues so I assume you made these, nice work.
Azu: Thanks Mr. Hudson
Zelda: Yes the statues were Azu and Link's work. We just finished what we were doing, give me a minute to clean up then we can speak.
Hudson: No rush, I will wait in the center of Castle Town by the statues.

While Zelda and Karin washed off Link and Azu trained together while they waited their turn. Even though they had worked nonstop for the past few days Azu was still full of energy. Before starting work on the garden Azu had been trying to perfect his parry timing but was finding it difficult. Link had instructed him to focus on his opponent's weapon but Azu was still finding it hard. Fortunately, Link had learned a new level of patience and had thought of a new way to help Azu. Giving Azu a thick stick Link threw a small ball toward him telling him to hit the ball mid-air. Focusing Azu tried and failed to hit the ball but each time he got closer. Eventually, Azu hit the ball and continued to hit it consistently. Link swapped the ball and stick for Azu's sword and shield telling him to use what he just learned. After a few attempts, Azu managed to successfully parry one of Link's strikes which he celebrated. Later that day Zelda came up to Link with a look of disappointment. The clearing of the debris in the castle had been going according to schedule but under large rocks, Hudson made an unfortunate discovery.