Chapter 10: Falling Castle

The time had come for Link and Zelda to figure out how to lower Hyrule Castle. Zelda had wanted to finish rebuilding Castle Town before thinking about the castle itself. But Hudson had concerns about this plan warning Zelda that if they didn't lower the castle first the air pressure and vibrations could damage or collapse anything they built. With this in mind, Zelda went to work trying to find a way to bring the castle back down without damaging it or the surrounding area. Link, having finished putting himself through drills for the day, joins Zelda who appeared to be upset.

Link: So have you thought of anything?
Zelda: NO!
Link: Sorry. (thought) Guess I hit a nerve.
Zelda: It's not you, I'm just so frustrated.
Link: Well what ideas have you already thought of?
Zelda: I had considered asking the gorons to knock down the pillar holding it up but that wouldn't work. The land mass would come down sideways and too fast causing more damage to the land and castle. I had considered using my recall powers but I lack the strength to do it. Ganondorf left us one more problem and I'm not sure how we can fix this.
Zelda: (sigh) Maybe...maybe it is best if we dismantle the castle.
Link taking Zelda's hands: We can solve this, I know we can.
Zelda: Sure...we can do this...we...
Link: Zelda, what's the matter?
Zelda: Seeing all the damage done, everything that was lost, I should have done more. If I had focused more I could have stopped the death of the champions, I could have stopped Sonia from being killed, or prevented Rauru's sacrifice. I miss them so much and I couldn't protect them.
Link: I too miss the champions and the loss of Rauru and Sonia is tragic. There are some things we can't change no matter how hard we try, all we can do is move forward and cherish the memories we have.
Zelda: But what of you, your memories of the champions were mostly stolen because of my failure.
Link: It wasn't your fault, Ganondorf was to blame for everything that happened to us. You have already done so much to rebuild Hyrule yet you linger on what was. Don't stay in the darkness of the past, live in the light of the present. I guess trying to find a way to lower the castle has brought out these painful memories.
Zelda: Maybe you are right but there are more pressing matters at hand. By the way, where did you get "Don't stay in the darkness of the past, live in the light of the present"? That doesn't sound like something you would say.
Link: Oh, that. I read it in a book.

Zelda started to feel better and Link helped keep her mind from wandering off. For a few days, Link and Zelda brainstormed how they could accomplish their goal. One day the sages came to Lookout Landing for the first of what would be monthly meetings, but they couldn't find Link or Zelda anywhere in Lookout Landing. Purah, noticing the sages pointed them to the castle where Link and Zelda were wrecking their brains on how to deal with the castle. Calling out to them the sages greeted their friends who looked like they hadn't slept in days.

Link: Hello everyone.
Sidon: Hello my friends.
Tulin: Hey there.
Yunobo: What's up goro?
Zelda: It's good to see you all again.
Riju: How are you feeling, you both look troubled.
Link: We are troubled, very troubled.
Sidon: Don't leave us in suspense, what is the problem?
Zelda: Well, we are trying to work out how to lower the castle back down without damaging it or more importantly the area around it.
Sidon: I see, sounds like a delicate situation.
Zelda: It's worse now. The pillar holding it up is crumbling and if it gives way the castle will come down too quickly.
Link: We need a way to lower it slowly and without it tipping over.
Riju: What about your recall ability Zelda, wouldn't it come down slow and even?
Zelda: Yes we had considered it, but I lack the strength to do it.
Tulin: Well what if we helped? There must be something we can do to help.
Sidon: Yes there must be some way.
Link: I don't know...wait there is a way. Are you thinking what I'm thinking Zelda?
Zelda: Yes, the same way King Rauru defeated those molduga.
Riju: King Rauru, molduga, what are you talking about?
Zelda: When Ganondorf first attacked Hyrule he used moldugas. To stop them Queen Sonia and I channeled the power from our secret stones to King Rauru increasing the strength of his attack.
Sidon: I get it, if we channel our secret stones to you it would boost your ability.

The sages and Zelda went up closer to the floating landmass that the castle rested on. Receiving the energy being channeled from the sage's stones, Zelda stretched her hands out trying to force the castle back down. The landmass trembled but it did not lower demoralizing everyone involved. The sages and Zelda went back to where they were before and went about the business the sages had come for. As they were finishing their meeting a golden light covered them. Suddenly a faint but familiar voice called out to Link and Zelda, it was Mineru. Link and Zelda were confused as Mineru had moved on months ago, yet she was calling them. Regardless they listened to where Mineru wanted Link and Zelda to go. Mineru instructed Link to come to where she first spoke to him and to bring Zelda with him. They didn't understand what was going on but knew they had to investigate. The sages saw Link and Zelda off who left using the Purah pad to teleport to Dragonhead Island in the sky.

Mineru: Hello again Link, Zelda.
Link: It's a surprise to see you again.
Zelda: I thought you had moved on and reunited with Rauru and Sonia.
Mineru: Part of me has, what you see now is a manifestation of my regrets.
Link: Your regrets?
Mineru: When I passed on I took my secret stone with me instead of passing it on to someone else like the other sages did.
Zelda: I understand now, you have some regret that you need our help mending in regards to your secret stone.
Mineru: Exactly. I had thought about who I should pass my stone to. At first, I had thought about passing it to your friend Purah, but she has no connection to the spirits. Then I recalled how you, Link, could see and interact with the various spirits including the dragons.
Link: But I haven't exhibited any ability related to spirits.
Mineru: And from what I know Zelda never exhibited any affinity for time manipulation yet that's what her stone enhanced. I don't know what your spirit ability would be, but I am convinced you possess them.
Link: Okay, if it will free your spirit of regret I'll accept your secret stone.
Mineru: Your kindness is just another reason you should take the stone, and it will soon be of use.
Zelda: What do you mean?
Mineru: I wanted Link to bring you here so I could warn you of a coming threat. There is a force coming from the north, they could be coming to aid or destroy, I do not know which. You have always been mindful of your people, but please be careful.
Zelda: I will and thank you for all you have done, go be at peace.
Mineru: I can already feel this form fading, may the goddess watch over you both.

As Mineru's spirit faded away her secret stone dropped to the ground clinking like a pebble on a hard stone. Link taking a deep breath, took the stone in his hand and held it up. The stone floated into the air before coming down on Link's head forming a simple circlet. Link could feel his strength surge as the stone took a purple hue. Link and Zelda returned to Lookout Landing where the sages were surprised to see Link with a secret stone. Zelda told the others what happened at the sky island and what Mineru had told them. Link, Zelda, and the sages returned to the castle where they repeated what had been done before. Like before the landmass trembled but remained in its location. But just as they were about to give in a green aura engulfed the sages and Zelda. Looking behind her Zelda saw the source of this energy. Link's stone was glowing purple and was brighter than the others, his eyes had turned bright green. A feeling of courage poured over the sages reinvigorating them and giving them the heart to keep trying. Giving it one last try the sages channeled their strength into Zelda who reached out commanding the castle to come down. The landmass began to shake and the pillar crumbled as the castle finally lowered back to where it had sat before. With the job done the green aura receded into Link who fell to his hands and knees with exhaustion. When asked what happened Link said he didn't know but it felt like his strength was pouring out and engulfing those around him. The sages remarked on how when the aura covered them they felt a surge of strength and were filled with courage. Zelda thought about going up to the castle but the painful memories of the calamity and Demon King made her turn away. The sages spent some time in Lookout Landing discussing with Zelda what Mineru's last words meant for them and how they should prepare if conflict broke out. During this time Link experimented with his new powers discovering that his ability was very different then the sages. Instead of an offensive or defensive ability like the other sages, Link's ability filled those around him with courage and empowered them with his will letting those around him tap into their true strength. There was something deeper, an untapped power Link could now feel but had yet to use.