Chapter 38: A Pleasant Little Surprise

Throughout Spring, Link and Zelda worked to improve conditions for everyone in the kingdom. As the war raged in distant lands more refugees arrived in Hyrule seeking a safe place to rebuild their lives. It was the start of Summer when Zelda began to feel ill finding it hard to stomach some foods. Though it concerned Link that she was unwell Zelda did her best to ignore it focusing on serving her people. One day Hudson came by to report the castle was almost cleared of debris and that reconstruction would begin soon but that it would be a few years before it was finished. In the middle of their conversation, Zelda was taken over by a wave of nausia forcing her to spend the rest of the day hovering over a bucket. Eventually, Link had enough and convinced Zelda to speak to Purah about it saying he would drag her there if she didn't come. Purah was concerned asking how long she had been feeling this way and why she hadn't spoken about it sooner. Zelda ashamedly said she had been too busy to think about herself.

Purah: I know Hyrule needs you, but we need a healthy you. Now let's see what's going on inside you.
Zelda: What is this machine?
Purah: I first started working on this a few years before Link woke up in the shrine of resurrection, a little side project. There was an outbreak of parasites in Hateno during that time and I intend to use this to examine the infected but the parasites vanished before I could finish the machine.
Link: How does it work?
Purah: It uses sound to let me see what is going on inside, it is perfectly safe.
Purah moves the machine over Zelda as she lays down
Link: So what are we seeing?
Purah: Nothing at the moment, the machine is slow and I haven't worked out all the problems. We should be seeing something in a minute, sorry about the wait.
Zelda: That's okay, I'm sure you will get it working right.
Purah: Ah, here comes the images. Well well well, look what we have here.
Zelda: What, what is it?
Link: There are two spots!
Purah: You two must have been busy at night.
Zelda: You mean I'm...
Purah: That's right, you are going to be a mother.
Link: That means...
Purah: Yep, you're going to be a father.
Zelda anxiously: You said there are two, that means twins.
Link strokes Zelda's hair
Link: I will be right here next to you ready to do whatever I can.
Purah: I'll give you two some space to process this revelation and congratulations.

When Purah left Link and Zelda alone she could hear joyful laughter and tears as the realization set in on the happy couple. Word of the good news flowed like a river across Hyrule reaching as far as Lurelin. As time went on Zelda tried to continue to be as involved as she had been but began to find it difficult. Purah told her it was natural and that she would have to let others fill in for her, something Altaira had already offered. Though Zelda couldn't stomach most foods anymore she could still eat fruit so Link got creative making different fruit-based recipes. In what time he could spare Link took on some of Zelda's projects mainly focusing on the communications between the settlements and the construction of new villages. To that end, Link was working closely with Hudson with the reconstruction of Gatepost Town which lay in the shadow of the Great Plateau.

Hudson: While I'm more than glad to rebuild another settlement, you and the Princess do know this will delay the castle's reconstruction.
Link: We know but with the population increasing and the growing number of refugees coming the need for houses is more important.
Hudson: So long as you are aware, I will leave some at the castle to continue working but I will divert most of Hudson Construction here. 
Link: Good, both I and Zelda have confidence in your work.
Hudson: That's high praise indeed! Speaking of Princess Zelda, how is she doing? Last I saw her she was ill.
Link: She was resting when I left Castle Town, the pregnancy is taking its toll on her.
Hudson: It is good that you two have people you can depend on.
Link: I do what I can to make Zelda more comfortable but it never feels enough.
Hudson: I understand that feeling all too well.
Link: I forgot you are a father, I can't remember what mine was like. I hope I-.
Hudson: I'm sure you will be a good father. Go now, be with Princess Zelda, I'll handle the reconstruction.

Returning to Castel Town, Link told Zelda that Hudson had agreed to Gatepost Town which brightened her day. Kissing her Link asked Zelda how she was holding up while he was gone. In his absence, Zelda tried to keep herself busy but since everyone was doing everything for her there wasn't much for her to do, something that was driving her crazy. Zelda appreciated the care she was shown she needed to do something, anything. Taking Zelda's hand Link proposed a compromise. As long as Zelda took time to look after herself Link and the others would relinquish her duties back to her. Putting her arms around Link she thanked him for understanding, promising to be careful and not push herself too much.

Link: So, how hungry are you?
Zelda: Very. While I've liked all your fruit dishes I want to try eating meat again.
Link: Let me see what I can do.
Zelda: Link, I've been thinking.
Link: Thinking about what.
Zelda: About names for our children. It was tradition to name every first daughter Zelda but I don't know if I want to keep that tradition. Purah told me that right now we can't tell if they will be boys or girls. But...I don't know...it feels like one is a boy and the other is a girl. I can't explain it but that's how it feels. If one of them is a girl I want to name her Sonia.
Link: What if one of them is a boy?
Zelda: I don't know, what name do you want?
Link: It would be a shame to break up the set, how about we name him Rauru? Plus he saved me and looked after you so it feels right.
Zelda: I like it, I wish our kids could have met them.
Link: I do too, but at least we can tell our children all about them.

After gathering what he needed, Link prepared a few meat skewers to see if Zelda could stomach them, and to his surprise, she could. With that in mind, Link got to work preparing a large batch for him and Zelda. After finishing their meal they stayed up talking about what else needed to be done. The Gerudo representative had received word that Isha had finished one of the crowns but the other wasn't to her satisfaction. However, this news didn't bother Link or Zelda who were in no rush to claim the throne, just wanting to focus on their growing family.