Chapter 29: Royal Apprentices

The next day Link and Zelda left for Hateno so Zelda could give her lesson and so Link could post the volunteer notices. Shortly before leaving Lookout Landing, Link received a letter from the parents of the boy who wanted to learn from Link. The boy had been pestering his parents since the Yiga attack on the festival, asking them to reach out to Link about training him. Amused Link decided he would speak with the parents and should they be willing he would teach their son. Along the way, there was a noticeable silence between the traveling couple. Link was thinking about how he would actually train everyone wondering if any training guides survived the calamity. Similarly, Zelda was thinking about the kids in Hateno and how she could better prepare them for the future, but that wasn't the only thing on the princess's mind. Though she was happy about the prospect of Link taking on a student she lamented the fact that no one showed an interest in being her protege. When they arrived at the entrance to Hateno they were treated by an eager you boy.

Azu: I knew you would come, I told my mom so!
Link: So we were expected then? Still just as eager as before I see.
Azu: Eager and willing.
Midna: Woof
Azu: I didn't know you had a dog, what's her name?
Link: Midna, and she's a wolf, but don't worry she is very docile, like a pet. I will speak to your parents tomorrow about training you.
Zelda: I expect to see you in class tomorrow.
Azu: Yes mam, I wouldn't want to miss one of your classes. (whispers) A pet wolf, that's so cool.
Azu runs off excitedly
Zelda: Definitely eager, I wonder how the volunteers will react to having someone so young getting special attention from you.
Link: What's the boy's name Azu?
Zelda: Yes I believe so.
Link: Azu has potential but potential is nothing if left unrefined. After he trains with the other volunteers their camaraderie will grow. Don't worry I won't push him as hard as I do myself.
Zelda shivers
Zelda: The sun will be setting soon and it is getting cold out, let's get to the house before we freeze. 
Link: A warm meal does sound good.

While Link unpacked the horses Zelda started preparing a meal but she was still distracted. She wondered what the kids really thought of her, did they see her as a friend, a teacher, or a princess? Coming in Link smelled something burning and noticed Zelda staring off deep in thought not noticing the towel burning. Acting quickly Link dowsed the towel snapping Zelda back to reality. Zelda apologized but Link was more concerned about what was distracting her. Zelda said she was just thinking about her lesson, a lie and Link knew it but seeing how embarrassed Zelda decided to ask about it after they ate. Cooking together had a calming effect on Zelda's mind and after a comforting meal, Zelda was more willing to discuss what was bothering her.

Link: I know there's more going on in that beautiful head than a lesson for the kids, what's going on?
Zelda: It's just that Purah and Robbi have a protege and now you are training volunteers to be soldiers and it looks like you will probably have an apprentice of your own. I know I'm a teacher at the school here but I can't be here as often as I would like, it feels like I'm not doing enough to teach. I know it sounds childish but-
Link: It's not childish to want to be a mentor to someone, especially when you see others getting to do exactly that. Try opening up a little, those kids adore you, I'm sure there is one that would want to be your apprentice they are just waiting for you to open up.
Zelda: Do you think there is, really? I can try to be more open about it. Thank you, Link, it is nice to be able to talk things out.

The next morning Link was off early posting notices in and around Hateno and after Azu left for school Linkmet with his parents. They were nervous about Azu starting his training so young but he had begun to go into the woods to find wolves and monsters. Link ensured them he would look after Azu and keep him out of trouble. Thanking Link Azu's parents agreed to let their son go and train under Link. When Zelda woke up Link had already gone but he did leave a packed lunch and a little note wishing Zelda luck and reminding her to open up. While waiting for the kids to arrive Zelda was thinking about how she would say she was looking for an apprentice. After giving her lesson Zelda dismissed the kids for lunch but one of them remained.

Midna: Woof woof!
Zelda: What's wrong Midna? Oh, Karin, is there something wrong?
Karin: Actually I was going to ask you that. You seemed a little preoccupied, more than usual.
Zelda: Very astute of you, yes I am a little preoccupied.
Karin: Can I help?
Zelda: That's very kind of you but...
Zelda remembers what Link said
Karin: But what?
Zelda: I'm looking for someone to take on as an apprentice, someone to take under my wing so to speak.
Karin: And you were going to tell the class about it.
Zelda: Yes but I don't really know how I should say it.
Karin: Well...I could become your apprentice, that is if you don't mind.
Zelda: That's kind of you for offering but you don't have to if you don't want to.
Karin: Truth is I have been wanting to ask if I could train to become a leader under you, my father wants me to learn to be a leader so I could be Mayor one day. I wanted to say something but every time I went to ask I got cold feet and couldn't find the words.
Zelda: I understand that feeling very well. I'll speak with your parents and if it's okay with them I'll gladly accept you as an apprentice.
Karin: That would be great. Could I ask of you a small favor Mrs Zelda?
Zelda: Sure, what is it?
Karin: Could I eat my lunch with you?
Zelda: Of course.

Zelda and Karin ate their lunch together and later played with Midna till Symin's math lesson started. Later that day Zelda met with Mayor Reede and his wife Clavia about Karin becoming her apprentice. Reede approved of the idea and while Clavia also approved of the idea she was anxious about their daughter moving so far away. Zelda reassured Clavia that her daughter would be safe and that she could come back at any time for any reason, something Clavia was grateful for. Later that night Zelda told Link about Karin becoming her apprentice to which Link congratulated Zelda.