6. The Carpenter

Andrea was awoken early by a knock on the front door. Climbing out of bed and creeping over to her bedroom door, she opened it an inch and peered out. She could make out Hugo's figure as he grabbed a knife off the shelf and walked quickly to the door. Harriet was right behind him, holding her trusty frying pan and hissing at him to be careful. Hugo pulled the door open but did not undo the chain that held it fast. Peering out of the small gap, he frowned before turning to give Harriet a reassuring nod. His fingers fumbled as he undid the latch and swung the door open wide. 

A heavily built figure entered. It was a plain looking man dressed in rugged clothes that were covered in wood shavings. He shook Hugo's hand and nodded a greeting to Harriet.

"I beg ya pardon, ma'am, but I was just passing by and thought I might drop in."

Harriet smiled. "Oh, it's quite alright. How's your wife?"

"She is a little weak, but she should be up and about soon. And the little feller is getting bigger each day. He'll grow to be a good and strong lad, I bet. I'm very grateful to you."

Harriet didn't say anything, but Andrea saw her smile as she turned away. 

"Tea?" she asked, bustling into the kitchen and rummaging around.

"If it ain't too much trouble." The man pulled out a chair and sat down. "Why don't you move to the village, Harriet? It would be so much easier. You would have everything you want just down the road, and you would get to people quicker. Why live out here away from everyone? What if something happens? It's dangerous out here for-" He broke off and looked down at his hands in embarrassment.

"For an old woman like me?" finished Harriet carrying the tea in and placing it on the table. "I can look after myself, you know. Besides, I have Hugo with me. And as for living in your village, what about the other villages? I can get to all of them from this place. And I don't like the village life, neither does Hugo."

The man shrugged. "Suit yourselves, but this place is getting dangerous to live in. Have they been this way yet?"

"Who?" asked Harriet, frowning. "What are you talking about?"

"What, you haven't heard?" The man looked astounded. "Why, about the-" He broke off as his gaze fell upon the half open door, where Andrea stood listening. "Why, who is this one? Don't tell me you have gone picking up more orphans."

Harriet sighed. "Andrea, this is Frederic the town carpenter." 

Andrea said nothing, and Frederic looked her up and down before returning to his previous subject. 

"Wolves. The forest is full of them. Patrols of soldiers are being attacked. Farms are being raided. Animals are going missing. They are everywhere."

Hugo snorted in contempt. "They won't bother us. We have Ruffian."

Frederic guffawed. "I don't think you understand, my friend. These are no ordinary beasts. These are a strange and deadly breed come down from the mountain. They'd tear that dog to shreds within seconds. No dog would have a chance against them, even one that critter's size."

A stunned silence fell. Andrea glanced at Hugo and saw he was staring at Ruffian who lay at his feet, oblivious to what had just been said. Hugo moved his hand slowly to the large dog's head and gently fondled his ears.

Harriet was frowning as if in deep thought. "Come down from the mountains, you say?"

"Yes," said Frederic, his eyes alight, as he leaned eagerly forward. It was clear he was very pleased with the reactions he was getting from his news. "The barrier between the civilized and the savages. You best be careful out here. These wolves kill just for the sake of it." His gaze fell on Andrea and his eyes glinted. "One simple snap of their jaw and that's it. You're done for."