18. A Confession and a Solution

There was a loud joyful bark and Ruffian came bouncing out of the barn, followed close behind by Hugo. Hugo didn't even hesitate. He threw his arms around Andrea, lifting her off the ground and enveloping her in an embrace that almost suffocated and crushed her.

"You little rascal," he scolded, in a voice that broke halfway through. "Harriet and I searched the entire hills for you. We were about to give up on you for good. I prayed every night that it was only because you had returned home again. So, where on earth did you disappear to?"

Andrea squirmed out of his hold and stood panting for breath. Ruffian nuzzled her roughly and her hand moved to pat his large head. 

"It's a long story. Is Harriet in?"

As if on cue, the healer appeared at the door. There was another even longer moment of fussing, and tears were shed on all sides. But finally, Andrea broke away and gestured for Dagen to come down to them. Harriet and Hugo were both startled to see the tall boy approach, and Andrea could not help but notice Hugo was eying him sharply. But Harriet herded them all inside, and sat them down to hear their story.

 Andrea told them everything, but she left out what Dagen had told her in private. Harriet and Hugo were both shocked to hear what had transpired and there was another round of hugs when Andrea had finished.

Harriet however refused to look for the cure straight away and instead set about scraping up a large feast that put even the king's meals to shame. Andrea didn't complain and ate more than Hugo and Harriet put together, while Dagen merely played around with his food, barely touching it. After that, Harriet sent Andrea off to rest in her old room which had been kept tidy in case of her return. Andrea was more than eager to go rest in a decent bed again, but she pulled Harriet aside first.

"Harriet, can you tend to Dagen? He won't tell me what happened, but I know he is hurt."

Harriet smiled at her. "I may be old, but even my eyes were sharp enough to pick up on that. Don't worry, I will tend to him well."

Andrea returned the smile gratefully. "Thank you, Harriet."

Harriet waited to tuck Andrea in, then carefully shut the door behind her. Dagen was wandering awkwardly about the living room, looking restless and on edge. He swung about as he heard her footsteps behind him. They faced each other for a long moment, before Harriet gave him a gentle smile.

"Come sit down and let old Harriet have a look at you," she encouraged, placing her basket of items upon the table.

Dagen edged over, but he did not sit, as he continued to eye Harriet warily. His look pulled at the old healer woman's heart, but she made no fuss over his actions. She simply began laying her ointments out in a row. Dagen finally moved forward, removed his shirt, and sat in the chair. He faced the back, resting his arms over the smooth polished wood. 

Harriet glanced at him. She was not surprised at the bruising or the red welts that lined his back, but more at the fact that it had barely opened the skin. Whoever had dealt his punishment had been extremely lenient with him.

Harriet worked silently; her hands gentle yet quick, well experienced from her years of work. Many praised her for her skill, but it saddened Harriet that there had been so much suffering in the world that she had been able to become as skilled as she was now. A day did not go by where she was not called out several times. Perhaps it was not always a severe case, but there was always some hurt to be mended, both physically and mentally. And Harriet was no miracle healer. There had been many times where she had had to admit her defeat and move on.

She studied the boy as she moved about. His head rested against his arms, his eyes squeezed tightly shut and a frown creasing his brow. And Harriet knew deep down that no matter how precious the ointments she used, or no matter the amount, she could not heal what truly hurt him. The boy did not flinch with the pain that filled his body, because he harboured an even deeper, more hidden suffering. She broke out of her thoughts as Hugo came in the front door, followed by the ever-loyal Ruffian. He looked taken aback at seeing them there and his hard gaze seemed to soften.