28. Ghosts of the Past

"What happens now?" Andrea asked, breaking the silence that had hung heavily over the group.

Hugo had unwillingly bound the captured captain, and Blade was now leaning back against the wall, his head slumped forward and eyes shut. They had all then withdrawn into the dining room.

"We might as well take him back with us," Dagen answered Andrea's question. "And discuss the matter with the alphas. As Lord Rane's right-hand man, I assume he knows information that could be useful to us."

Hugo shook his head. "I don't think he knows much to be honest. I suspect Lord Rane kept him in the dark about a lot of things."

Dade shifted awkwardly, before nervously speaking. "I think you are wrong. Lord Rane and Blade were closer than you might realise. I truly think that in some twisted way, Lord Rane did see him as a son. It was just that he prioritized the bigger picture. To him, his revenge of his real family meant more than his sentimental thoughts to a foster son. Lord Rane wants to kill the mages for destroying his family and driving him over the mountain. Since no tribe would accept him, he turned to the humans. It was easy to make his way up the court with all the dark secrets he had learned during his wanderings. He then made me announce the law to rid the land of mages. He knew it would eventually lead to an open battle and that the mages would be defeated. But despite all this, he knew Blade well. He knew his beliefs and what would break him. And so he twisted his motives in a way that made Blade feel less guilty." He paused, his gaze resting on Torrin with a guilty look, before he glanced away again. "I think Blade knows deep down everything Lord Rane has done and will do. But he is desperately trying to deny it because unlike his master, Blade still has a conscience. We just need to convince Blade that what he has sensed all these years was the truth."

Hugo rose abruptly to his feet, startling everyone. He walked back and forth, his hand running anxiously through his hair, before he stopped and faced them. "It will kill him," he told them, his eyes pleading for them to understand. "It would be so cruel to throw his past back in his face and have him realise what he has actually done."

Dagen went to make a cutting reply, but Harriet spoke first.

"And will it do him any good to let him live in oblivion? He will forever tell himself he knew nothing and that he is guiltless for being left in the dark. You know as well as I, Hugo, how the demons of our mind can whisper and cause confusion and doubt. And if he does not fall into a low pit of cruelty and bitterness just as Lord Rane has done, his conscience will eventually speak louder until he loses his mind as he realises the horror of his own action. What would you choose for him, Hugo? Blade is currently spiraling down a dark path, that leads to nothing but eternal damnation."

Hugo flinched at her words. He did not reply however as he turned and disappeared out into the night. Harriet watched him go, her gaze softening with pity.

"Go to him, Andrea," she murmured, patting Andrea's arm. "You do not know the torment he suffered upon seeing you. I have no doubt he has a lot to say to you."

Andrea nodded numbly, before following Hugo's footsteps. He was in the barn sitting on a bale of hay. Ruffian was by his side, resting his large head on his master's thigh, and staring up at him with empathetic eyes. Andrea stared at the pair from the doorway, tears prickling at her eyes.

Hugo must have sensed her stare, for he glanced up at her and gestured for her to come sit beside him. Andrea moved forward, coming to stand before him, but making no move to sit down. Hugo leaned down, resting his forehead against Ruffian's, and stroking his sleek neck.

"I know you must be hurt, perhaps even angry," Andrea heard him murmur. "In truth, I don't know what to say to you. I know you don't come here seeking an apology, though perhaps I owe it to you."