25. The Riddle's Answer

"Your brother?" gasped Andrea. 

Dagen said nothing, but his face went slightly pale. It had struck him that in a gruesome way, that he and Dade were now even. Dade had been the cause of Kiara's death and Dagen in turn had killed Dade's brother. But Dade had just spoken a word, while Dagen had taken a life with his own hands.

Dade was nodding. "If you take me into your camp, I will tell you all that passed."

Sending Dagen a wondering glance, Andrea helped the exhausted king to his feet. 

"Come, I will send Torrin for a cup of tea. Once you have drank, we will talk." 

She led him over to the fire. Weylin was nowhere in sight and Andrea guessed he had gone to bury his uncle. Torrin was there however, and he shrank away in terror as he saw who Andrea led by the arm. The king bowed his head, unable to meet the terrified boy's gaze and stumbled over to the log. He collapsed upon it and buried his face in his hands. He dimly heard Andrea ordering the others about and was soon presented with a warm mug of steaming tea and a thick slice of bread.

"I'm afraid this is all we have at present," Andrea told him. "It's probably nothing like what you are used too, but we can't exactly go freely about the markets buying the supplies we need."

The king flushed red, sensing the hidden accusation in her words. "Forgive me, I was not aware of the extent to which you have suffered."

He should have kept his silence for Dagen turned on him with an ugly scowl. 

"Not aware? What, you didn't think the people would take your fake tales to heart? That they wouldn't follow your order to kill us on sight? You knew well what would happen. These people are descended from the men of Runen, men who are well known for their fear and hatred of magical and shape-shifting beings. You knew well, just how they would react. What harm did we ever do to you, that you would inflict such pain and suffering on us?"

Dade shrank back, his eyes wide with fear. His lips parted to defend himself, but the words never left him, for at that moment the twins and Ulric arrived, followed not far behind by Weylin. They all stopped in their tracks as their gaze fell upon the well-known figure. Ulric had his axe in his hands within seconds and the twins were bristling with rage, lips drawn back. Andrea leapt to her feet, planting herself firmly between the enemies.

"There will be no bloodshed, no killing. I think we have had enough of that today and will have more sooner than we wish. Dade has come in peace and wishes to speak with us."

"I will speak with that scum when his head rolls at my feet," snarled Ulric, waving his axe dangerously. The twins inched forward, almost eagerly.

Weylin however raised his dark gaze to the king's. "No, let him speak. Let him explain the death of my uncle, Magnus. Let him explain the death of Erica, my wife, mother of Torrin, and daughter of Ulric. Let him explain the death of Kiara, mother to the lone hunter. Let him account for all their deaths."

Dade looked horrified by the list of names, suddenly becoming aware that he had injured all these ferocious mages in a way he could never help them heal. He gulped loudly and looked about for at least one friendly face. There was none to be seen, for even Andrea had become grave and stern as she thought of her friends' loss. Torrin too, for although he had forgiven Dade, the fear still lingered within him. Knowing there was nothing more he could do; Dade took a deep breath and began.

"I first want to say, that I know what I am about to say does not excuse my actions. I also wish to announce that after I tell my tale, I will give myself up to you to do as you will. Just listen to the end, so you might understand the peril in which you must face.
My story begins 17 years ago when I was just a lad of thirteen. I lived happily enough in the royal palace, surrounded by my many brothers and sisters. It was customary for the Erlenian king to have many children, as few children make it to adulthood in this harsh land. I was the second eldest which many people considered a blessing for I was said to be sick in body and weak of mind. One night, I was snatched from my bed and taken to a dark room, where I was tied and left with a tall man clothed entirely in black. He told me, that if I bowed to his leadership and became his loyal servant, he would reward me richly. I refused repeatedly, even when he turned to threats and even beat me."