10. Fool's Pass

A soldier was standing by the peaked rock, keeping watch. When he saw Andrea heading towards them, he turned and yelled something back over his shoulder. Immediately the scar-faced man appeared. He didn't make any move to meet Andrea but waited as she came up the hill to him. Andrea stopped before him and bowed her head, wiping away her tears that still fell.

"I'm sorry," she finally murmured. "I'm sorry I didn't listen. Sorry for what happened."

The scar-faced man nodded grimly. "What's done is done. There is no use dwelling on it. Perhaps I am the one to blame for not persuading you enough. Perhaps his captain was to blame for sending him into that forest alone. Who's to say? It's best to lay it behind us and move on."

Andrea shook her head. Her mind was still hauntedby the memories. Whenever she closed her eyes, all she could see was those eyesstaring hopelessly back at her. "I can't." She whispered. "I can't forget. I want to help you capture the wolf before it happens again. I'll do anything to help."

The man eyed her curiously, then nodded. "We will appreciate it very much. Since we are going to work with each other, I suppose I should introduce myself. I am Blade. But please, come and sit down. We have much to discuss." 

Andrea followed him over to a large log that lay near a small fire and they both sat down. 

"So, you are absolutely sure about this?" Blade asked, his eyes studying her closely. "It could be dangerous."

Andrea nodded. "Yes, I'm sure."

"Well, here's the plan." He reached down and picked up a stick and began drawing a rough map of the forest.

Andrea tried to pay attention, but her mind began wandering. She turned to gaze down at the forest. Why was she having second thoughts now that she had come? She had been so decided a moment ago. In her mind's eye, she could see it. A white wolf with large brown eyes. Soft eyes of a gentle creature, not of a killer. Andrea had once heard it said that eyes could never lie. It had been Francis who had said it. She remembered it quite clearly now.

"You okay?" asked Francis, sliding into the seat beside her.

Andrea forced a smile. "Yeah, I'm fine."

Francis studied her closely. "You know, Andrea, a mouth can make a smile and lips can form a lie. But the eyes? Well, eyes always speak the truth. And looking into yours, they tell me you are hurting inside. I'm your friend, Andrea. You don't need to say you're fine, when you are not. You know I'll always be here for you."

Andrea smiled softly as the memory played through her head. She remembered she had broken down at his words and had let the tears fall. And how Francis had taken her hand and held it tightly as she cried her pain away. The thought of her friend caused a sharp pang to pierce her heart. Francis had always been there when she neededsomeone.

She raised her hand to wipe her tears, but started back as she saw Blade staring at her intently.
As their eyes locked, Andrea noticed his eyes' colour for the first time. They were hazel, she realised. She didn't know why it came as a shock, maybe it was because they reminded her uncannily of Francis or because everyone else she had seen so far had had steel-grey eyes. All except Hugo and... She looked away, able to look into Blade's penetrating gaze any longer. A hard lump rose in her throat. And the young soldier. She could still see his frightened brown eyes, trying to be brave.

"You didn't hear one word I said, did you?" Blade's voice was more curious than accusing.

Andrea raised her head and her dazed eyes met his once more. When she shook her head guiltily, he sighed wearily.