13. Riddle of the Heart

The four of them crouched low in the shadows, eyes fixed on the flickering torches below. Rodarn was already in wolf form, his growls sounding low in his throat as he watched the sentries walking to and fro.

"Wait," hissed Andrea, holding up a hand. Dagen and the twins glanced at her. "Promise me there will be no killing unless it is unavoidable."

Dagen's mouth tightened into a hard line and the twins growled. But they nodded, knowing they had little choice.

"Alright, you ready?" asked Dagen, looking at each in turn. They nodded. "Right, go!"

Rodarn sprang forward, covering the ground swiftly in long bounds. He smashed into the first of the sentries, tumbling across the ground before springing back to his feet and going for a second guard. Ronan was not far behind him, but unlike his brother, he did not charge out but slunk through the shadows unnoticed. The cry of alarm had been taken up and soldiers poured out of the camp, most of them stumbling from been drawn out of a deep sleep.
As Andrea followed Ronan's lead, keeping to the darkest shadows, and cursing the bright moon, she saw Blade enter the fray, a large sword in one hand. She also noted with a heavy dread, the keys that hung from his belt.

Ronan didn't hesitate. He sprang from the darkness, teeth bared. Andrea had a bitter feeling that neither brother would keep their promise once they had tasted blood. Blade heard Ronan as he pounced, and leapt to the side, causing Ronan to miss him by several inches. Blade raised his sword and swung down. At the same moment, Ronan rose up on his hind legs and took a human form, grasping Blade's wrist.

The scarred faced captain had known the wolves were no ordinary creatures, but even he had not expected the sudden shift. He gave a harsh cry and stepped back, stumbling. In the same instance, Ronan was a wolf again. He rammed him onto the ground, pinning him beneath his heavy weight. With his razor fangs, he ripped the thick sword belt in half and tossed the keys into the shadows, where Andrea waited.

Andrea grabbed them and fast as her legs could carry her, she raced behind the hut in search of Felan. She found him chained to the wall of a small shed. He was a white wolf again. His head hung low, weighed down by a heavy metal collar fixed around his neck. Andrea's heart throbbed painfully at his pitiful state. Creeping forward, she gave a low whistle. Felan didn't move.

"Felan, it's me. It's Andrea."

The white wolf moved its head ever so slowly.

"Felan, I've come to rescue you. I know I was wrong and I'm really sorry. Okay?"

Felan had turned fully around to look at her. His brown eyes were startled, still holding the hurt and betrayed look that had haunted her dreams. But he whimpered softly and leaned forward, straining against his chain.

"It's okay, Felan," Andrea reassured him. "I have the key." 

She fell to her knees beside him and unlocked the collar, allowing it to fall to the ground. Felan shook himself, as if trying to shake away the feeling that remained. Andrea rose to her feet and glanced around. She could still hear the enraged snarling of the twins and knew they were still distracting the soldiers. Ronan still had Blade pinned down, but it probably wouldn't be long before a soldier came forward to rescue the captain. Andrea knew she had to get Felan away before that happened.

 Resting a hand on his neck, not only to guide him but also to reassure herself, Andrea began creeping around the back of the shed, taking a detour passed the fight and up to the hill where Dagen waited. As soon as he saw her, Dagen put his fingers to his mouth and gave a piercing whistle. The twins immediately broke away at the sound and began bounding towards them. The soldiers did not bother to give chase but instead gathered around their captain, helping him to his feet. Andrea caught a glimpse of the unpleasant look that crossed Blade's face, before Dagen grabbed her by the wrist and began walking swiftly back towards their camp. The twins trudged along beside them. Rodarn walked at a slower pace, one arm around his brother's shoulders, affected by a gaping wound in his side. As Andrea glanced at him, she saw he was watching Dagen with a hostile gaze. Dagen must have felt the look, for just as they entered the camp, he sighed and turned around to face them.