16. Dagen's Story

Andrea paced up and down nervously. It was past noon and Dagen was still nowhere to be seen. To make matters worse, the twins were both eating a cheery meal over the fire while joking about him hanging high. But Dagen was too smart to be caught, thought Andrea with a hint of concern. He couldn't be caught. As she turned away from glaring at the chuckling twins, she saw a tall figure coming over the rise.

"Dagen!"

 She flew across the ground towards him. Dagen looked up and raised a hand, acknowledging her cry. Andrea slid to a stop. Something was wrong. Dagen would normally holler out a greeting, not wanting to startle them with his arrival. But that was not the only thing that appeared to be off. Andrea noted that his mouth was set in a hard line and that he seemed to be walking stiffly, almost limping. And he barely even glanced at her as he passed by her, his shoulder bumping into hers. Keeping a safe distance between them, Andrea followed him back towards the campfire.

When the twins saw him, they both called out a greeting with Ronan adding something about giving him up for dead. Dagen ignored them, heading over to where Andrea's bed rug lay. Bending over it, he grabbed her pouch, and tipped it upside down. Several books fell out, tumbling across the ground. 

Andrea stared at them, her gaze shifting as Dagen moved his foot forward to kick the smallest of the books in her direction. It was the one on portals. Andrea's nails dug deep into her hands as she eyed it. Then raising her eyes, she met Dagen's. To her shock, they were no longer a pale ice-blue, but burned a fiery yellow. She stepped back, shaking her head.

"It... It's just a book." Her voice was low and unsteady, and she could feel her hands trembling.

"Just a book?" snarled Dagen. "I thought we all agreed going to the library was off limits. And I thought we were doing this to help Felan."

Something inside Andrea snapped. "No, that's what you are doing. I also want to go home. You didn't want to go to the library because you can't read. But, I can. And I wasn't afraid."

Dagen lunged forward, grabbed her shoulders, and began shaking her roughly. "You little insolent brat. You could have been caught."

Andrea stared at him with wide eyes. Up close and out of the shadows of the trees, Andrea saw for the first time, his swollen cheek, and the wild, almost maniacal glint in his eyes. She had never seen him this angry. 

"I'm sorry," she blurted out, trying to wriggle out of his grasp.

Dagen's grip tightened, his fingers locking around her arm like iron. "Sorry? Sorry for what? Sneaking out in the middle of the night? Sorry for doing exactly what we agreed not to do? Sorry for making us worry? Don't you realise the mischief you caused? You could have been caught. Damn it, Andrea. Have you no brain?" 

He let her go with a shove and turned away, breathing heavily. He seemed to sway on his feet, and he leaned over, one hand pressed to his chest, while the other gripped his head until his knuckles turned white.

"Dagen, I-" 

Andrea reached out and touched his shoulder. Before she had time to react, he swung around slamming her to the ground. Her head smashed back onto the forest floor, stunning her. Trying to sit up, her vision blurring, and the world swaying around her, she was aware of the sounds of panicked shouting. She stumbled dazedly to her feet and turned as she heard an enraged snarl. The sight that met her eyes, caused her to freeze and time seemed to still. The memories flashed back through Andrea's mind as she unconsciously backed away.

It was the wolf. The wolf who had attacked her that night. Its glowing eyes were like fire and its jaws gaped as if hungry for her blood. Ronan and Rodarn were holding it back, their arms straining as the wolf struggled against their grasp. Spinning around, Andrea fled.