27. Two Old Friends Unite

Going back to Harriet's house had not been an easy task for Andrea and Dagen. Andrea was scolded quite thoroughly by the old healer woman and Torrin had been fussed over upon hearing his side of the story, while Dagen stood to the back with Dade in awkward silence. Hugo was not extremely pleased to see either of the latter, especially after he learned what had happened and what Dagen's intentions had been all along. But the situation took a turn when Dagen confessed he had killed Prince Cole, a detail Andrea had intentionally left out.

A heavy silence fell and Harriet glanced at Hugo. Dagen kept his head lowered, afraid to meet anyone's gaze. Harriet was the first to speak. She moved forward and gently tilted the boy's head up.

"It wasn't you," she said in a soft tone. "You didn't kill him."

Andrea and Dade were just as startled as Dagen at the quiet response. Dagen's stepped back, shaking his head.

"I attacked him. I know for certain I injured him. I-"

"Yes, he did have several wounds upon him. Although they were quite severe, they would not have killed him. He was brought in before he had lost too much blood and he was much stronger than he looked. Someone didn't want to give him that chance however. His wounds had been poisoned. I realised this, when I attempted to stitch the gashes together. The threads merely corroded away. Hugo and I did not understand the reason for his being poisoned and it made us question for a long time. I guess, it is all answered now."

Hugo sighed. "How strangely everything falls into place. Imagine if Lord Rane had got Torrin back to the palace and killed him. Dade would forever have been held his captive, and the wolves would never reunite like now. But in an ironic sense, Dagen got Andrea to help him rescue Torrin so he could get his revenge, but in doing so, has discovered a way to settle this all and make it right."

Harriet frowned at him. "It is all in the past now. All that matters, is we are all trying to make it right. Come, come, I will feed you all first and then we shall go back to the forest to meet the werewolves. Hopefully then, we and Dade can go to the city to win the soldiers back over."

They had all piled into the kitchen and were sitting to a quick meal, when a knock sounded at the door. Everyone froze, glancing at each other. Harriet was the first to react.

"Don't be so startled," she said, letting out a nervous laugh. "I am a healer, I often have visitors at all hours." She hurried over to the door and unlatched it.

"You are the healer?" a man's voice asked. It sounded vaguely familiar to Andrea and by the way Dagen and Torrin had flinched, she guess they thought so too. Dade however, cowered back against the chair.

"It's him," he whispered in horror. "It is the captain."

Everyone turned quickly as they heard Harriet invite him in. The man entered, revealing it was indeed Captain Blade. Blade however did not see them, as he faced Harriet.

"I have some questions to ask you, then I will leave. The young man we brought in the other day, the one who died...was it really due to a wolf attack? Are the mages as evil as the elders speak of? As a healer, you must be the one who would know best."

Harriet was too stunned to speak, she glanced at the table, causing Blade to follow her gaze. Seeing the king, Andrea, Dagen and Torrin, he gasped in horror, quickly stepping back. But Harriet quickly blocked the door, as Dagen and Hugo sprang to their feet and came closer. Blade continued to move back until his back was pressed against the wall.

"Why are you here? Is Lord Rane close?" Hugo pressed the knife he had grabbed from the table and pointed it at Blade's throat.

Blade shook his head, wincing as the knife grazed his neck. "No, I came alone," he reassured them. "Lord Rane does not know I left the palace. I only came to seek answers."