24. The Broken Bargain

Dade trotted up the steps, shivering as the air grew cooler. This made him frown. Surely, they should not keep him here. It would be damaging to his health and they had promised. Promised that he wouldn't die. He came to a stop as his way was barred by a heavy wooden door that was bolted shut. The two sentries who stood before it, glanced at each other uncertainly.

Dade glared at them. "Open it. I wish to enter."

One guard went to obey, but the other stopped him, before turning to the king.

"My lord, I fear your brother is more unwell than usual. The physician has commanded that he have absolute rest and that no one should disturb him." Seeing the king's frown, he quickly added. "But the physician said to tell your royal majesty that it is nothing of concern. It is just a fever that should pass within the week."

Dade nodded. "Aye, he was always the most delicate in the family, being born before his time. But he has always been ill before. Why should a mere fever stop me from seeing him now?"

The soldier glanced at his comrade. "They worry you may catch an illness. You cannot risk your health whilst we are on the verge of war."

Dade had begun to breathe heavily, as he glanced from one guard to the other. 

"Unlock this door now." His voice was low and threatening. When the two soldiers did not move, Dade felt the panic surge. "Open it!"

The soldier quickly moved to unbolt the lock and let the door swing open. Dade immediately pushed past and entered the small room. It was eerily cold and dark. The fire that had constantly blazed through the hours of night and day, was now a heap of ash and coal. The bed was unmade and papers were strewn across the floor. Picking one up, Dade's eyes burnt to see a small childish sketch of two boys playing together among fields of long grass. Grass that the artist had seen from a distance but had never touched. Not a drawing of a memory, but of a desire that had never been fulfilled.

He did not turn as he heard one of the soldiers slowly enter behind him.

"Where is he?" Dade whispered. The picture in his hands smeared as several small drops soaked into the paper. "Where is Cole?"

"They moved him to a warmer part of the palace, sire," the soldier replied, hesitantly. "They feared you would worry about his health if you knew."

"I told them the cold up here would be no good," Dade murmured, turning to face the soldier. "Why did it take this long for them to listen?"

The soldier looked uneasy. "Sire, you forget that your brother was not only weak in body but also in mind. It was for the safety of others as well as his own that he had to stay up in this tower. The physician sees him daily, and the prince was always supplied with thick blankets. I too, made sure that the fire was always kept blazing. But come, your majesty. There is no need to fret. He is in better care now."

Dade nodded. "Very well, so where is he? I should still go and see him. He must get so lonely, and I know he worries about me." Once again, he was met by silence. Letting out a frustrated sigh, Dade walked past him and stepped through the doorway. "I will go find him myself. Just make sure the gold you received is spent wisely."

With those last cutting words, the young king left them. But as he walked away, his heart pounded within his chest. He had to find him. Cole needed him. He practically ran down the stairs, skipping two at a time. When he reached the royal hall, he was out of breath and doubled over with exhaustion. If it were not for the silver circlet set with a sapphire upon his brow, it would have been impossible to imagine him as the king. 

Lord Rane who was standing over a table, looked less than impressed at the undignified arrival.

"You must remember your position, your majesty," he admonished at the king stood panting.