8. The King's Soldiers

Andrea was up in the hills watching the sun come up over the horizon. Except for a couple of the cows and Ruffian, she was alone. She had stolen away before the others had awoken and had trudged up the hill in the dark to clear her thoughts.
Sitting back on her heels on the dew-covered grass, with one arm around Ruffian and the other around Clover, she thought over what had been said yesterday. The more she thought about it, the more convinced she became that Felan was not a threat. How could a creature with such large soft eyes like his, be evil? It just didn't fit together.

Beside her, Ruffian stirred restlessly. Rising to his feet, he sniffed cautiously at the air before giving a deep rumbling growl. At the same Heather called to her calf. Clover immediately slipped away from Andrea and trotted to her mother. The cows huddled nervously together but looked ready to dash at a moment's notice. The hair on Ruffian's neck prickled up and he growled louder. Rising to her feet, Andrea saw the reason for the beasts' actions.

Three tall bearded men were heading up the hill towards them. To Andrea's dismay, they were between her and the house. Without being conscious of it, her hand crept to Ruffian's collar and she gripped it tightly with trembling fingers. As the men came closer, Andrea noted the large pikes they carried and realised they were soldiers like the ones from the other day.

"Morning, miss," called the one at the head of the three. He was bigger than the other two and had a large scar that covered one side of his face. This only caused Andrea to become more nervous.

"Good morning," she forced herself to call back.

"We would like to talk to you for a moment, if it's no trouble."

They were closer now and Ruffian was beginning to tremble with suppressed rage. It was clear to Andrea, that he hated these men as much as his master did, if not more.

"Alright, but stay where you are," Andrea warned them. "I don't think it would be a good idea to come any closer unless you want to get mauled."

The front soldier laughed, but to Andrea, it did not seem as if it reached his eyes. "Well, you see, miss, we came here the other day inquiring about a wolf. We were told there were none around by the old healer woman, but we have reason to believe she may have been mistaken."

A cold hand clutched at Andrea's heart, but her face remained expressionless. 

"Go on," she commanded.

"Someone saw you with the wolf," said the soldier, looking at her closely as he spoke. Andrea knew he was searching her face for a visible sign that would prove him right. "Apparently, it seemed as if you were on good terms with it. I fear that you do not know the truth."

"What do you mean?" Ruffian must have sensed her anxiety, for he began pulling at his collar, his teeth bared as he snarled aggressively.

"I mean, you do not know the truth about this wolf. It is no normal creature but rather a sly intelligent beast that preys on youth like yourself. It befriends them, before luring them into some dark lair to feast upon them. We've been trying to hunt it down for years, but it has always alluded us. We've come to ask that you help us set a trap for it."

Andrea shook her head, almost laughing with scorn. "I don't believe you."

The soldier scowled in exasperation. "Miss, this is a matter of life and death. We have to catch it before it does away its next victim."

Again Andrea shook her head. "No, I won't do it. Now go before I release the dog."

The soldier glanced nervously at Ruffian, who was straining against his collar and backed away.

 "Alright then, miss. But remember what I said. Should you change your mind, our camp is over yonder, by that hill with the peaked rock."

Andrea nodded, but said nothing. As if finally deciding she wasn't willing to cooperate, the three soldiers turned and strode away. Andrea watched them go with a frown. Did they really expect her to believe that ridiculous story? But then again, why were they so insistent on capturing the wolf? What was really going on?