15. The Scribe

Andrea raised her head slowly, her whole body tensed and ready to run. From the long row of books, a tall man emerged. He was nearly buried under the books he carried, but when his gaze caught sight of the young girl crouching on the steps, the books fell clattering to the ground and loose pages fluttered through the air. 

Andrea sprang to her feet, but the man made no move. As Andrea stared at him, she slowly realized he was more frightened than she was. His pale eyes set in a dark face were wide and startled. Upon further observation, Andrea realised that despite his shaven head, he was not as old as she had previously thought. The man suddenly seemed to come alive, shaking his head as if to clear it.

"Who are you?" he asked in a soft murmuring voice. "And why are you here?"

For a reason she could never understand, Andrea answered him with all honesty. "My name is Andrea and I'm looking for a book. Who are you?"

The young man gave a slight frown, before bending to retrieve his books. Andrea moved to help him. 

"I am Tristan by birth but am known mostly as Trist. I am a scribe." Then noticing Andrea staring at his fine blue and white tunic, he added with a hint of a smile. "I am a palace scribe who is often sent here to copy out the ancient books that will then be kept at the palace library. Only the originals remain here."

Andrea smiled at him as they both straightened themselves. 

"It must be a wonderful job," she commented, as she handed him the books she had collected. He nodded his thanks in a way that struck her as shy.

"In some ways, yes. But it can be tiring copying out word for word in small neat writing. And frustrating too at times, for one is not allowed to make mistakes. The copies must be as accurate as possible."

Andrea nodded. An idea had struck her, and she wasn't sure she wanted to dare risk it. But she realized she didn't have much of a choice. "Trist, could you help me?"

Trist looked at her uncertainly. "Depends on what you ask for. I could be punished just for talking to you if they find out you are here."

"Well, it's not for me. It's for a friend. You know there will be a battle between men and beast eventually, don't you?"

Trist frowned. "I have heard rumours of it."

Andrea nodded. "The soldiers have been hunting down and killing the wolves in the mountains because they are strange being who can change into human form. Well, the wolves will not stand back and see their kind be slaughtered. But don't you see? If they are desperate, the wolves will unite which is something they have never done before. And united together, the men will have no chance against them. It will be a massacre. A friend and I have come to a solution. We know someone who can stop the wolves from doing this. But this someone is cursed. Only if we can cure him, can we stop it."

"What about the king?" asked Trist doubtfully. "Do you really think he will just step back and let you do as you please? After all, it was he who started the war in the first place. His parents were barely even cold in their grave, when he announced war upon the mages."

Andrea thought for a moment, before replying. "Well, surely the king wouldn't want his people to be slaughtered. We will send him a message, telling him we will only stop the coming war, if he will stop too. If he refuses, the wolves will have no choice but to attack."

Trist was silent. Then as if coming to a decision, he straightened his shoulders and raised his head. "Row 5 on the left. Third shelf." He turned to go but Andrea called him back.

"Are there...are there any books on portals?"

Trist looked startled, but he answered her. "Row 17 on the left. Middle shelf. And Andrea?" She looked at him questioningly. "There is a small door at the back to the right. Leave that way if you don't want to be discovered."