20. A Temporary Cure

It was still dark when Andrea wearily opened her eyes. The bed was so warm and soft that it took all her willpower not to roll over and snuggle into the blankets once more. It was funny that something so seemingly simple, could provide a world of security and comfort. Her hands moved over the blanket, feeling the hard work and love that had gone into its making. Harriet had stayed up every night sewing it together while waiting for her return, Hugo had told her in private. He had not mentioned the newly made bedside table, nor the little carving of a calf that lay upon it.

Blinking back the tears that threatened to over spill, Andrea clambered out of bed, grimacing as her bare feet touched the cold floor. She slipped out of the oversized nightgown that had belonged to Harriet and into the pair of clothes that lay on the end of the bed. It felt good to be back into clothes her own size and not into a pair of Dagen's like she had been using the last couple of days. Dagen didn't seem to be one to take care of his clothing, she had noticed. Despite being old and faded, the tunic she now wore was still in good condition, with only one or two patched up holes. They had been Hugo's when he was a young boy, Harriet had told her. He had been a good lad who never got up to mischief. He had even learnt to sew himself, so Harriet need not patch up the holes he might accidentally cause. Andrea smiled fondly, as she slipped her boots on. Standing up, she took one last look about her room.

"I am going to miss you," she whispered. "I am going to miss you a lot."

Her hands lingered over the small table, then coming to a decision, Andrea snatched up the small carving and thrust it into the pocket of her tunic, before replacing it with a note. Quickly, yet silently, she headed to the door and slipped out into the darkness. As she headed passed the kitchen and through the living room, she heard a soft growl. She froze, mid-step, half turning her head to peer into the shadows surrounding her.

"You were really just going to leave like that?" a voice asked, the hurt and betrayal seeping into their tone. "Without a goodbye or explanation?"

Andrea turned slowly to face them. She could make out with some difficulty, the silhouette that sat beside the empty fireplace. "I didn't think you would let me go."

"Is that a bad thing?" Hugo asked, rising from his seat, and coming to stand before her. "There are people who love you dearly, Andrea. Don't let the hurt of those who didn't, make you mistrust those who do."

Andrea bowed her head, the tears finally brimming over and dropping to the floor. "I have been disappointed so many times in my life-" she murmured sorrowfully. "-that...that I can't even give myself the chance to be disappointed anymore. I am really grateful to you and Harriet, but...but I can't believe you. I just can't."

Hugo slipped his hand under her chin and gently tilted her head up. "Andrea," he whispered, his eyes gazing searchingly into her face. "Just believe me this once. I know, trust me, I really do." His hands reached down to take her small ones in a firm grasp. "I don't want to let you go. I would give anything to go with you. But I can't leave Harriet alone. She needs me, more than she would ever like to admit. I have been a very selfish person in my life. But not now. This time, I will let you go. Go fix the wrongs, then go back home, Andrea. As much as we love you, we can never be your home. Go back to your parents. Face them and let them know how they hurt you. Don't let the anger and resentment destroy you." His eyes glimmered with his earnest words Stepping closer, he wrapped his arms tightly around her. "It was not your fault, Andrea. Don't you ever blame yourself for it."

He stepped back and gestured to the door. "Go," he told her. "I will explain to Harriet in the morning. She will probably beat me black and blue for letting you go, but she won't kill me." He shot her a playful smile. "Now go, you little scamp."