33. Home is where the Heart is

When the two finally rode into the campsite, it was already in the early hours of the morning, though the sun had not yet risen. 

There they parted ways, Weylin going to see to his pack, while Andrea hurried through the camp, searching for familiar faces. She halted and her heart leapt with joy within her chest, as she saw the twins huddled together fast asleep, Ronan with his head resting on his brother's shoulder. 

Ulric was standing over his pack, refusing to have his wounds dressed until his underlings had been seen to. 

And not so far away, Harriet was bustling about preparing medication of some kind. As Andrea headed over to her, she saw with relief it was Dagen who lay upon a thick fur on the ground near the healer. Hugo was bending over him, cleaning the knife wound, while Therron sat faithfully by his side, stroking the damp hair from his sweat covered forehead.

Dagen turned and looked at Andrea, but his eyes were dazed and delirious. Andrea didn't come closer, fearing she would only get it in the way. She continued looking about, but there was no one else to be seen. Someone touched her hand and she turned to see Torrin by her side. He smiled at her, but his eyes were pained and sorrowful.

"Dade?" whispered Andrea. "Did he come back?"

Torrin was silent for a moment, before enveloping her in a warm embrace. There were no words to be said, as Andrea buried her head in his shoulder.

As the sun's rays crept out upon the earth, it met no merry sight. The hills of Erlenia were covered with fresh dark mounds, the resting place of wolves and men combined. There was no time or strength to give each their own graves. But the living trying their best to bury the wolves with their own kin, each to their own pack.

Dade was buried in all the glory and splendor of a king. The loyal guard was buried by him, faithful to the utter end. And men and mage, bowed to the earth in silent reverence, farewelling the fallen heroes.

And so, it was after several long and exhausting days, that Andrea found herself back at Harriet's house once more. The house was filled with silence and Andrea soon found herself wandering the hills alone. 

She stopped by Prince Cole's grave to weed it and lay down fresh flowers. There had been talk of moving him back to rest with his brother, but Andrea knew that Dade would have wanted him to stay where he was in the open hills. 

As she arranged the flowers about the headstone, she thought back on all that had happened. The memory of Dade played in her mind as if he had only been with her a moment before. She would miss him, though she had known him for so brief a time. Something seemed to press upon her memory and Andrea frowned. The memory of his pale eyes staring deep into hers, floated to mind. With it came his last words.

"I entrust you with the ending of this chapter. Let it be a victorious one, full of triumph. And Andrea," his hand moved lower, resting over her heart. "Remember this. Home is where the heart is. Look deep and you will see."

"Look deep and you will see." Andrea frowned. Look deep...look deep. Home is where the heart is.

A loud sob broke from her lips as the last piece of the puzzle fell into place. Rising unsteadily to her feet, Andrea began heading back to the house. She walked slowly at first, then a little faster, until she was flying down the hills as if her feet had grown wings.

"Harriet, Hugo" she cried, bursting through the door. "I can go home!" 

She came to an abrupt stop. Harriet was seated at the table with Hugo by her side, his hand resting on her shoulder. Across from her was Therron and Dagen. The boy was pale, but he held his head high. They turned at the sound of Andrea's voice. And Andrea saw a look of fleeting pain cross Dagen's face. Hugo looked startled, while Therron showed only confusion. Harriet however, smiled as she rose from her chair.