21. Alpha of the Mountain Wolves

It was in silence that Dagen and Andrea traveled the following morning.

 Andrea was still hurting from Dagen's cruel words the night before and so said nothing. Dagen was oblivious to Andrea's hurt and had withdrawn himself into his own little world, becoming deep in thought. 

Feeling isolated and alone, Andrea turned to gazing at her surroundings. But not much had changed since they had left the clearing. There were still trees as far as the eye could see and the ground was littered with broken branches and fallen leaves. The only difference was that the higher up the mountain they traveled, the colder the air grew. And climbing even higher, they began to encounter snow. Snuggling deeper into the fur cloak, Ronan had lent her, Andrea gazed about in fascination. Every now and then she would snatch at the drifting snowflakes trying to catch them.

 Dagen would occasionally glance at her as her movements disturbed his thoughts, but for the most part he trudged on with his eyes fixed straight ahead. As Andrea stopped for the third time to scoop up a handful of snow and toss it above her head like it was confetti, a loud eerie howl filled the air.

 Dagen pulled to a stop and swung around to pull Andrea behind him.

Over a rise just above their heads, a large grey wolf appeared. Its face was brutally scarred, and it walked with a strange jerking movement. It came to a halt and raising its head, it howled a second time. Somewhere in the distance, there came an answering call. As if satisfied, the wolf lowered its head and met their gaze.

"Speak your names and the reason for trespassing through the territory of the mountain wolves," it commanded in a gruff voice.

Dagen stepped forward, head held up with pride. "I am Dagen Mortenson. The one with me is Andrea. We come unarmed and in peace. I wish only to speak with your alpha."

The grey wolf studied them thoughtfully. "Your words seem harmless enough, but Weylin does not talk with just any stranger. Why should he speak with you little runts?"

"It is for his ears only and for that of his highest members," retorted Dagen sharply.

The wolf growled. "It would do you well, if you humbled yourself in another's territory. But I will be lenient regarding your age. You may come, but let the girl remain behind. Her eyes are likened to another's that Weylin does not care to remember. He will not be friendly with her in his presence."

Andrea shot Dagen a puzzled look but saw that he was just as confused as she was. He leaned forward however and whispered into her ear. 

"Follow at a distance, but don't let them see you. Okay?"

Andrea nodded gratefully. She hadn't been particularly fond of the idea of remaining there alone. She perched herself on a rock, acting as if she had every intention to stay there. 

Dagen gave the impatiently waiting wolf a curt nod, and the wolf disappeared back over the rise with Dagen following behind.

 As soon as they were both out of sight, Andrea rose to her feet and trailed them. It was an easier task then she expected as their footsteps covered her own and the numerous rocks and rises provided plenty of cover.
Instead of going further up into the mountains as Andrea had expected, the wolf turned and headed downwards, back to where the trees grew thick. Dagen must have shown his surprise for Andrea overheard the wolf giving a short explanation of there being more shelter and food. And suddenly Andrea felt she understood the bitterness between the packs. Of the three, the Woodland pack was only one with a fairly safe territory. Men rarely trespassed and food was in plenty. But the Mountain wolves had to suffer through harsh winters where food was scarce, and the Plains packs lived every day in fear of men with whom they were forced to share the land. It had possibly been the unfair division of land that had begun the conflict between them all.