23. Truth and Lies

Andrea glanced about her, frowning thoughtfully. She had her dagger and the horn that Ulric had presented to her. Would she need anything else? She gave a loud sigh then swung around when she heard a small rustle among the underbrush.

"Dagen?" she called, her voice betraying her nervousness. 

Although forests hosted all sorts of creatures and strange noises, she felt that no creature would venture so close to a clearing that held humans and a blazing fire. Dagen had went off to see if he could find the twins as the alphas hadn't yet returned and Dagen was reluctant about leaving Torrin to himself. 

"Dagen, is that you?" Andrea called again. She picked up one of the torches that Dagen had prepared for the journey and lighting it at the fire, stepped forward and held it up. She almost dropped it and nearly screamed in terror when she saw a cloaked figure standing in the shadows. The figure did not move, not at all startled that it had been seen.

"Who are you?" called Andrea shakily holding up the torch, trying to cast its light across the hooded face.

The tall figure slowly reached up and pulled the hood back. Though her face was pale, and her silvery hair was pinned back, Andrea recognized the retired healer immediately.

"Hello, Wolfheart," greeted Priscilla, her lips curling at the corners with amusement.

Andrea frowned. "Why do you call me that and why are you here?"

"I'm glad to see you too," mocked Priscilla, coming closer and seating herself gracefully on the log. "I call you what I deem fit. And as for why I am here, I didn't come all this way to not tell you. If you waited patiently like a good child should, you would have found out sooner, for I would not have to explain myself." 

Andrea gritted her teeth with annoyance but said nothing. 

"That's better," Priscilla told her approvingly, before her expression turned grave. "I came to offer you some advice. You plan to have the wolves distract the soldiers while you enter do you not?"

Andrea was startled. "How do you know of this?"

"I make it my business to know and you should be grateful for it," retorted the healer, sharply. "I foresaw this in advance and have placed a confident of mine in the palace to aid you. Once you get to the palace, imitate the call of the mourning bird. You will be met be a palace maid who will then show you the way. Do you understand?"

Andrea nodded, although she could not have shaken her head if she had wished. For Priscilla had fixed on her a burning gaze, and her eyes had glowed like a white fire. "I'll tell Dagen when he returns."

The healer frowned at Dagen's name as if remembering something. "Dagen?" she murmured. "I know that name."

"He's the black loner wolf who roams these woods or else he is known as the hunter," said Andrea, wondering if it would bring back any memories. "Also, the one who put this plan into action."

Priscilla frowned, her eyes glazing over. But only for a moment. She shook her head as if to clear it, and rose to her feet, pulling the hood back over her face. "I will take my leave then. Just remember all I told you."

"I will," assured Andrea. "Can I ask you something before you leave though?"

Priscilla paused as if pondering over the question. Then she nodded. "Very well, but be quick about it."

"When you said you foresaw this, did you really foresee this? Like, do you actually have foresight?"

Priscilla stared at her. "So, you are not so dull after all. Yes, child, I do. For I am descended from a child of the Isle of Sol, blessed with the gift of foresight. I foresaw your coming with Harriet that day and had the vial ready. I also foresaw the riddle that was shown to you from the pool, though I understood not its meaning. I have foreseen the king's fall. His crown will one day lie broken and bent in the dust. But I also see pain ahead. Fire and war. Betrayal too, lingers in the future. Though, whose future, I cannot tell. One thing, I can tell you, however, is that the hunter from Dagen's past will come. He has a tattoo upon his forearm. A wolf with a moon upon its brow, surrounded by pine trees. Behind it is the night sky with a full moon and two bright stars. Do not tell this to Dagen, as it will only distract him and perhaps hinder him from his task. You must cause them to reunite, as it is very important for the future of many. But my part in this war is done. Farewell, Wolfheart. I do not know if we will meet again though I feel as though we shall. Not soon, I think but in several coming years." She headed back towards the trees but paused at their edge, and turned back to approach Andrea once more. "Little one?"