Chapter One Hundred Seventy Four

Hello everyone, I know I haven't updated in a while but I'm currently trying to perfect everything at this point

Hello everyone, I know I haven't updated in a while but I'm currently trying to perfect everything at this point. I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with things atm but I am trying my best. I would love to hear from you guys and what you think about the story. ♥️♥️ anyway I hope you enjoy 💞

Day after Day passed with us held up in this house. My father was his usual self. A dick. I can't say that he was a dick to Ba Wei though, just me. He seemed to be getting along with Ba Wei. They even bonded over their taste in wine. I didn't know Ba Wei liked wine, but it wasn't like I was mad at the fact that he didn't tell me. They were sitting at the kitchen table chatting about cars of all things. I was leaning over the counter just listening.

"You're telling me you think a 1959 Plymouth fury is your favorite car," my father asked. Ba Wei chuckled as he nodded. "How do you even know about such a car."

"You'd be surprised how much I traveled with my father as a child."

I pushed myself off the counter and walked over and sat beside Ba Wei. He didnt look in my direction but his hand went to my thigh almost immediately. It was kind of cute that he was so interested in talking with my father. Who knew they would actually be having a conversation. I would say it's not because of us being locked in this house, but that would be a lie. Sure he asked me to have a dinner with him and that women before everything, but it's different now. I mean we could have one with just the three of us, but I need some things.

"Is your dad coming back tonight," I asked Ba Wei?

He glanced over at me, "I don't know. I can see if he is. Why do you ask though?"

"Well, I wanted to cook something since I said I was going to before we came here."

My father let out a chuckle," You cook for him but you never cook for me. This pain hurts."

I laughed, "Well this is the most time we've been around each other in a while isn't it?"

"That's true," he said softly.

"Hey, I'm going to go call my dad. I'll be right back."

I just nodded and focused my attention back on my father. He was scrolling on his phone, and even in a time like this he was still well groomed.

"How does it feel to live in a house with me for more than a day?"

"Ji Nan," He started. He seemed like he was searching for the right words. "I know I haven't been the best father for a long time, but I was trying my best with what was dealt to me."

"I know-"

"Let me finish talking," he said cutting me off. "I know after me and your mother split I put all of my attention on my work instead of paying attention to you." He took a deep breath, "I'm sorry for making you feel like I don't love you. I know I'm hard on you, but it's only because I want the best for you."

"You always have said that. That you want the best for me, and I'm trying to show you that I appreciate that. I have never missed school on purpose or gotten in trouble on purpose since I moved here. In fact, I've been on my best behavior. The fact that you don't trust me hurts me even more than you constantly putting people above me." He was about to start speaking again when Ba Wei walked back into the room. "Let's finish talking about this later okay."

"My dad is meeting with one of the gang heads so he won't be home anytime soon." He sat down and stretched a bit, "but you can give one of the guards a list and they'll go out and get the things you need."

"That'll work just fine. What would you guys like for dinner?"

"He can choose. He's the one who hasn't had your cooking in a while."My dad looked surprised at the gesture, but smiled a bit.

"You heard him old man. What do you want?"

"I haven't had duck in a while," he said without hesitation.

"Just duck? Nothing else?"

"Well I specifically want duck soup."

I stared at him for a second knowing why he asked for such a thing. It was the dish my mom used to make for him a lot. The last time I made it for him was the day after he kicked her out. I couldn't help but wonder why he wanted me to make that.

"Alright. Are you okay with that?"

"Yeah. I'm looking forward to it."

"Alright. call one of the men. I'll tell them what I need." He quickly called one of the men in the room, and I began telling him what I needed. I decided to just order three times everything and make a big batch since there was so many people in the house. As I was telling him from the corner of my eye I watched my father get up from the table. As he started to walk off he started to stagger.

"Hey," Ba Wei said getting up to steady him, "you alright?" My dad was breathing hard, but nodded. Ba Wei looked back at him and I knew he didn't believe him.

"I guess I'm more tired than I thought," He said letting out a chuckle.

"Can you help him up the stairs," I looked my father in his eyes, "it wouldn't be good if he fell while trying to get to his room."

I watched as Ba Wei followed my father out of the kitchen. I had a bad feeling and I didn't know why. Seeing him stagger like that didn't sit right with me. Sure he has cancer, but he says he's been getting treatment for it. Come of think it I didnt ask him what kind of cancer he has nor did I ask him what treatment he was having. I'm a terrible son...

I let out a sigh, "Get some a some pots and pans too and get some plates and bowls."

"How many do you suggest I get," the man asked?

"Just get enough for everyone one in the house."

He nodded and left the room. I got up from my seat and walked into the kitchen. I looked at the stove and realized that it had a layer of dust on it. I knew that it wasn't used since we been here but I still didn't expect that.

"I might as well clean before he gets back with everything."