Chapter Twenty-Three

After lunch, class was boring

After lunch, class was boring. I mean, I guess it was because I barley could pay attention. Constantly I would start writing notes only to stop and let my mind drift off towards Ba Wei. Those last words he said to me kept replaying in my head. Don't try me...what does that mean?

I sat there staring at the wall so intently that I barley noticed that class had ended. I sighed and looked down at my notebook. I had only taken about a dozen pages full of notes. I ran my fingers through my hair. Hopefully the homework was something I already knew how to do.

I started packing up my things, and just when I was stuffing the last of my books in my phone began to vibrate nonstop. I zipped up my bag and pulled out my phone. To my surprise the name on the caller ID belonged to no other than my father.

I quickly picked up the call, "hello."

"Ji Nan, how have you been doing?"

"Don't give me that. You haven't called or texted me in days," I said coldly.

"I knew that would make you upset, and I apologize."

"Save it."

"Ji Nan," he sighed, "I know I should've contacted you, but I couldn't."

"Yeah sure," I got up and swung my bag over my shoulders. "Why did you call?"

"I called because I'm in town, and I wanted us to have dinner."

It was a sweet thing to offer, but I was not interested. He probably wasn't even in the city right now. He's done that before, so I don't even get my hopes up to see him.

"I can't. I have plans."

"With who? We both know you can't see your fri-"

"It's not them," I interrupted, "why do you always have to bring them up every time I decline something."

"You know why."

I could feel the anger boiling up. I knew if I didn't end this phone call, I would most likely say something I would regret.

"Bye."

The beginning of my name was all he was able to get out before I hung up the phone. I stuffed it back in my pockets and rolled my eyes. I hated when he brought up the past, especially those people.

I didn't want to remember them yet he always brought them up when I said I didn't want to do things with him. I get that he didn't approve of my lifestyle before we moved but he knows I agreed to never go back to how I was. It frustrates me that he doesn't trust me.

I pushed all of that to the back of my mind and glanced down at my watch. I sighed and walked out of the classroom. I started to make my way to room 205, ignoring the buzzing that was coming from my pocket.