Chapter 2: Welcome Back

"I mean, it's official, isn't it? Dumbledore's completely lost his mind. I always thought this day would come," I conclude, nodding along with my musings. Since I'm lying in my seat, my long red hair dangling off the edge and my legs propped on the wall of the compartment, I address the ceiling. "I mean, really, who in their right mind would make me Head Girl and then decide, 'You know who that unstable bird Lily Evans would lead really well with? That tosser James Potter. Ah, yes. The perfect pair to lead our student body.'"

Marlene snorts. Emmeline sighs.

"Really, Lily, I think you're underestimating yourself. And James," Alice says.

Now it is my turn to snort. Alice can only say that because she's related to him in some distant fifth-cousin way all purebloods are. She and James have always been casually friends, a result of bumping into each other at Wizarding events all growing up. However, I can't say the same for my mates Marlene and Emmeline who nod in agreement. Unfortunately, not even they are immune to the James Potter charm. I just really don't understand it.

"No, listen!" Alice presses on. "No one's really surprised you're Head Girl, Lil. You're top of like every class –"

"Not every class," I grumble under my breath. Transfiguration will make me sell my soul to Salazar Syltherin's ghost who is certainly roaming the deepest pits of Hogwarts looking for muggle-born souls like mine to devour.

"– and you're like every professor's favorite student --"

"Hello! Are you forgetting Transfiguration?!" I say, louder this time.

"-- and everyone really respects you! Really no one's surprised. And as for James..."

I give my heaviest, most agonized sigh.

"...I mean, it's a bit of a surprise since he wasn't a prefect but it's not impossible, is it? He's been top of classes right there with you."

Another agonized sigh. Just another reason the prat bothers me so much. Not only is he a reckless, arrogant slacker, but he still manages to excel in all our classes. Especially Transfiguration, which is just the worst, and the hardest, and the stupid git doesn't even have to try. Agh. It's enough to drive any self-respecting, studious witch up the wall. And I'm that witch. Sometimes.

"And like it or not," Marlene breaks in, impatiently twisting her tight brown curls out of her face and into a knot on top of her head, "James has grown up quite a lot in the last year. And he was made Quidditch Captain last year, so he does have leadership experience, even if it's not the traditional prefect type."

I snort. There's only so much growing up a person can do. I'd lost Marlene to the James Potter charm at the beginning of last year when she won a spot on the Gryffindor Quidditch team under Potter's leadership. Apparently, things can get chummy between all that practicing and team meetings, and Marlene is all pro-James now.

"You two will do great," Emmeline, ever the optimist, concludes. I shake my head, disappointed in her. Emmeline's the one who is most often on my side when it comes to Potter, but while she thinks he's a bit of a show-off, she also thinks I'm skewed in my completely antagonistic views of him.

"You guys are all the worst," I moan. "And I can't talk about this anymore. I'll just have to have it out with Dumbledore at the feast."

"The feast..." Marlene sighs wistfully, massaging her stomach. "Merlin, I'm hungry."

Alice laughs. "The trolley came by just an hour ago! And you ordered practically half the cart!"

"But that was a full hour ago," Marlene whines. "Emmeline..."