Chapter 26: A Slug Club Christmas

"Lily... you look really nice."

"Thanks," I say. I look Severus over. He doesn't look much different than normal; his dress robes are black, much like our daily robes, just no Hogwarts crest or House colors to embellish them. He has, however, washed and brushed his shoulder-length black hair back out of his face and tucked it behind his ears. It makes his face look more open than usual, and I decide I prefer it to him hiding behind it. "You do too."

Severus and I met up on the landing of the fourth floor. Despite how adamant he was that this is not a date, it feels very much like a date as he offers me his arm and we walk down the corridor towards Professor Slughorn's quarters.

I'm wearing emerald green dress robes and had let Emmeline twist my long hair into a fancy updo. Alice is coming tonight too – with Frank! -- but not until later. As it is, Severus and I are rather early. I can't help it – I like to arrive to events on time, and on time means not one minute late.

And then I can also watch everyone else arrive. Mainly James. Not like I'm hoping he really is coming but like... just in case. To watch for mischief. He and Sirius would only show to mess the party up, right?

But, oh Merlin... what if he does come? With Carol? I think I really will die if Carol shows. She's spent all week dropping hints about the party, and since she's not a member of the Slug Club, the most likely way for her to come would be James.

No. Calm down, Lily. Sirius won't let James bring her.

Also, I really don't care.

Right.

"Lily?" Sev says, and I realize that while I've been obsessing over James's potential attendance and date, Sev's been talking to me as we walk. About what, Merlin knows. Pull yourself together, Evans!

"Hmm?" I say.

"Christmas plans?" he prompts.

"Oh! Well, I'm not too sure..." I trail off. I don't want to mention Petunia's wedding; I haven't told anyone outside of James. Not like it's a secret but... well, it's kind of embarrassing that your own sister didn't invite you to her wedding, and, despite James's optimism that she'll have to make me come once I talk to her, I'm still not so sure. So, I haven't said anything.

Plus, Severus's and Petunia's history is... not great. So we don't really talk about her.

"Probably just going to be a quiet family Christmas at home," I say. "You?"

He makes a face.

"Sorry," I say quickly. "That was stupid of me."

"Not your fault," he says, looking away.

Sev's home life is not great, even less so than his relationship with Petunia, and it all comes down to his controlling and frankly alarming father.

"Why go home at all?" I ask quietly. "Why not stay here for break?" I know the castle is always quiet for Christmas, but lonely seems better than what Sev deals with at home.

"My mother," he says shortly. I nod and don't press. Even if she can't shield Severus from his father, he loves her anyway.

"Well," he continues, sounding eager to leave the topic of his parents behind, "I wonder, since we'll both be home for Christmas, you want to meet up sometime? Visit the playground for old time's sake?"

"That might be fun," I say. "It's been so long since I've been back there."

He smiles, finally. "It's a date, then."

I frown. Not a date. Why is everyone so concerned about dates?

But now we've arrived at Slughorn's office, and I get distracted by the extravagance inside.