Chapter 29: Petunia

"Mum, we're here!"

From the kitchen Mum and I hear the front door swing open.

"Hi honey! Just a minute, I'm finishing up this pie!" She looks at me pleadingly. She's in the middle of latticing the top of the mince pie and has flour up to her elbows and a swath of it across her forehead. "Go greet your sister at the door, will you?"

"Love to," I say. I think I manage to keep the sarcasm out of my voice.

The entry way is more hallway than room, with the staircase to the upper floor opposite the front door. Petunia looks up when she hears my footsteps on the wood floor.

"Oh," Petunia says, stopping in the middle of removing her gloves. "You're home."

"Hey, Tuney," I say. I look past her to where Vernon is shedding his coat and revealing a jumper that stretches just a little too snuggly across his middle. "Hey Vernon."

"Thought you said she'd be visiting her girlfriend today," Vernon says to Petunia, ignoring me completely.

"Yes, well plans change," I say, resting an elbow on the stair banister. "Thought I'd give the happy couple my best wishes myself."

Petunia slowly hands her gloves to Vernon who, to his credit, stashes them appropriately in the pocket of Petunia's coat, which hangs neatly on one of the hooks by the door. "So this is about the wedding?" she says.

"Uninviting me, Tuney? Through Mum?" I say. "That's low, even for you."

Petunia glances down the hallway. I laugh hollowly. "Don't worry about upsetting Mum," I say. "I haven't told her."

"Why?" Petunia says evenly.

"Because I don't want drama," I say.

"Then what do you want?" she snaps.

"Isn't it obvious?" I say. "I want to go to the wedding."

Petunia blanches.

"Now listen here," Vernon says, speaking to me for the first time. "We will not have you ruining our wedding."

"I don't want to ruin your wedding!" I whisper-shout.

"You'll find a way to, I'm sure of it," Petunia says nastily.

"Fine! You don't want me there? I'll be sure to let Mum know just why I'm not there!"

Petunia glares furiously at me, Vernon at her shoulder.

"Tuney, is that you? Hi sweetheart!"

Mum sweeps down the hall, pulling Petunia into a tight (flour-free) hug. Petunia meets my eyes over Mum's shoulder. "This isn't over," I say quietly. Fiercely.

"What's that, dear?" Mum says, looking around at me.

"Nothing," I say.

***

"Isn't it lovely Lily is going to make the wedding after all?" Mum asks after dinner over the pie.

Petunia has raised her fork to take a bite but pauses at Mum's words to shoot me a glare when Mum isn't looking. I raise my eyebrows right back, daring her to contradict Mum and make a scene.

"I'm so glad it all worked out," Mum continues, oblivious to our silent battle. She turns to smile at Dad, who smiles back.

"Yes. It's nice to have both my girls back for the holiday," he agrees.

"But what about your friend, Lily?" Petunia asks. I'll give her credit – her voice isn't the least bit strained or hostile as she carefully sets her fork back down on her plate, still loaded with a bite of pie. "Alicia, wasn't it? Won't she be hurt you're skipping your trip to visit?"