Chapter 19: Down the Alleyway

"I don't understand how it's already time for a Hogsmeade trip," I say. "Where has all of October gone? How was this not even on my radar?"

"Well, to be fair, Lily, you have been extremely busy," Alice says from her armchair by the fire.

"We all have been extremely busy," Emmeline says. She has her Arithmancy homework spread across the table in front of her.

"Even I've been busy," Marlene yawns. She's sprawled on the rug in front of the fireplace, one of the throw pillows from the sofa propped under her head.

"Right?" I say. "I mean, I feel like we haven't even had time recently to all hang out together like this."

Alice hums her agreement while Emma continues scratching away, her quill bobbing across her parchment. It's late Friday night and we more or less have the common room to ourselves.

"So what's the plan, then?" I ask. "Where do we head first tomorrow? Three Broomsticks for lunch?"

Alice clears her throat. "Actually..."

I look at her. "Actually what?"

"I'm not going to Hogsmeade with you lot tomorrow." She turns faintly pink and bites back a smile. "Frank invited me to go with him." Then she can't contain her smile. "And I said yes."

"Alice!" I say, delighted. Marlene goes, "Awww...." from where she's laying. "Congratulations," Emmeline says, pausing to smile at Alice.

"Thanks," Alice says, still smiling, and self-consciously smooths her skirt. "I'm quite excited, but like I said, that means I have to bail on you guys tomorrow."

"Good enough reason," I say, grinning. Alice rolls her eyes, but I can tell she's pleased. "Okay, then. Marlene, Em? Tomorrow?"

"Actually..." Marlene says.

I throw a pillow at her. "You're not serious. What, you have a secret date tomorrow, too?"

Marlene catches the pillow easily and laughs. "No, I don't. But I'm being serious. Stacy and Andrew and I, and some of the other Quidditch people from the other houses, are headed to Sprintwitches first thing – rumor is they just got in a bunch of new gear, and maybe even the newest Cleansweep. Plus, I desperately need new gloves."

"Marlene," I whine.

"Sorry Lil! But maybe I'll see you for lunch?"

"Emma?" I say, turning to her.

"Hmm?" My studious mate doesn't look up.

"Hogsmeade?"

She finally pauses to placate me with a smile. "Of course, Lily. You know I wouldn't miss a Hogsmeade trip."

I grin back. "Finally. A mate who remembers going to Hogsmeade with me is just as fun as meeting up with a bloke or looking at broomsticks."

Marlene sticks her tongue out at me, but Alice just smiles.

"Oh Lily... just you wait. Hogsmeade trips will feel very different the day you want to spend it with the right bloke."

***

The next morning, we wave goodbye to Marlene and Alice as they go their separate ways, then head off down the street ourselves. Autumn is in full swing, and all the trees lining the cobbled streets are golden. The brisk breeze sends the fallen leaves skittering. Our planned destination is Scrivenshafts, but, even though we just had breakfast, the spicy, buttery smells wafting from the bakery attached to Tomes and Scrolls detour us, and we spend a happy hour browsing books and eating apple cinnamon scones.