Chapter 21: Uninvited

Author's Note: Read [bracketed] text as struck-through.

***

Dear Mum,

How are you feeling? Are you keeping as busy as I am? Between Head Girl duties, my studies, tutoring Timothy, and being tutored by Potter, I feel I barely have time for my mates or writing letters home!

Today was our first Hogsmeade trip. I thought I'd be more busy as Head Girl, needing to supervise things in the village, but there was remarkably little for me to worry about [except of course the glaring exception of getting cornered by hostile Slytherins and just narrowly avoiding a duel] so I got to enjoy the day with [friends] classmates. Emmeline and I looked at quills and books and pastries in the morning (you might notice an order form I've provided in case you might need any Christmas gift ideas...) and then, so wild, I accidentally spent the afternoon with [James] Potter and his friends. They made for, er, interesting lunch mates, and Potter's ex kind of killed the mood for a bit, but then we hiked up to the Shrieking Shack afterwards, and it lifted everyone's spirits back up. It was the perfect pre-Halloween activity. They all had so many ghost stories about it to share! Pettigrew spun a yarn about a tunnel that connects it to the grounds so the spirits from the shack are free to haunt the students when the moon is full. We all had a good laugh over that.

Then, when we got back to the castle and after we had dinner, Potter and I had a tutoring session and I think I FINALLY might have the basics of human Transfiguration down! I managed to change Potter's hair to red and back again with no mishaps. The poor boy has suffered a lot this past month as we've been practicing spells similar to this.

Anyways, you didn't need to hear so much about Potter and his mates, but it was an interesting day, to say the least. Not exactly what I expected from my Hogsmeade trip, but nice in the end, all the same.

Love,

Lily

PS – Will you pass Petunia's letter along to her? I wanted to write you both this weekend. Thanks!

***

Dear Petunia,

[I guess I'll try writing you one last letter this year before giving up. Your refusal to respond is getting upsetting.]

Happy Halloween!

How are you? I miss hearing from you! Any updates on Vernon? Work? [Literally anything?]

This morning in Hogsmeade my friend and I went to a bookshop and got pastries for breakfast, and it reminded me of when we used to go visit Gran and she'd take us into town and buy us fresh doughnuts from the café next to the library, do you remember? That was so long ago... we were so little!

Anyways, I don't have a ton to say, just that I miss you and I hope all is going well for you.

Love,

Lily

***

"Don't you think we should talk to Dumbledore?" James asks Sunday night. It's after dinner and we're gathering up the monthly reports from the prefect room to take to Dumbledore.

"Huh?" I say. "We already are?"

"Not about the reports," he says impatiently.

"Then what about?"

He rolls his eyes. "I don't know, Lily, maybe how you got attacked yesterday afternoon?"

"Oh... I suppose..." I knock the pile of parchment against the table to get all the edges to line up neatly.