Chapter 8: Prefect Meeting

Ever since History of Magic the other day, and the whole patronus... thing... I've felt off-kilter (well, more than usual) when I'm around Potter. Thank goodness we haven't had a tutoring session since, just classes, and right now, after our argument, we're doing our best to stay out of each other's way. Just like Potter had promised, I think wryly.

And, admittedly, it's not too hard. We've made it through our first full week of school, which is always a bit chaotic even without Potter drama. We overlap in most of our classes, but Potter sticks with his mates and I stick to mine.

But now it's Sunday evening and we can't avoid each other anymore. We have to act like the adults we (almost) are and lead the prefect meeting, preferably as unified Heads.

Except that it's seven pm and I can't find Potter. I assumed he would be in the common room, but he's not. None of the Marauders are. I'd also assumed we'd head to the prefect meeting room together with Remus since Potter's never been there before, and we could coordinate what we wanted to accomplish at this meeting.

I shouldn't worry. I'm sure Remus will get Potter to the meeting alright. I just don't like that all four of them are missing. That means they're probably together, which means they're probably up to something mischievous, which means they might lose track of time, which means Potter might miss the meeting altogether. Not that I couldn't run it on my own, but I think... I think I want him there? Even if just for moral support. He'd been a surprising amount of help at our first meeting on the train.

In the end, I set out on my own. A few students are milling about in the halls; curfew is still a while off. I do have to double-back to avoid Peeves the poltergeist on one of the stairways; he's hidden himself in the suit of armor at the top of the stairs and is attempting to trip anyone who wanders by.

The prefect room faces the lake and has several large windows to show it off. It's also furnished with a couple of couches along with a large desk and a few chairs around it. There's even a fireplace on one of the walls. It's where all prefect meetings are held and makes an excellent study space when the common room is too loud. Since it's out of the way of regular foot traffic and only students with prefect and Head badges can get in, it's usually empty. I've finished many homework assignments in here.

"Oh thank Merlin," I say, when I find Potter and Remus already inside. "Where have you been? I was looking all over for you!"

They are both sitting on one of the couches, turned towards each other in a way that indicates they must have been talking before I walked in, but they've fallen quiet.

"Hi, Lily," Remus says as I walk over to the desk and take a seat. Potter, though, says absolutely nothing, just stares out the window.

Uncomfortable, I start to rummage through my school bag to get out the rounds schedule I'd drawn up in preparation for the meeting. But I can't find it.

"Oh no," I hiss.

"What's up?" asks Remus.

"I had the rounds schedule ready so that we could do sign-ups, but I think I left it in my dormitory. Ahh..." I look at my watch. It's already almost 7:20. It'll take me almost ten minutes just to get back up there. Curse this insanely large castle and my air-headed brain!

I'm just thinking I'll have to sprint up there anyway when the door opens again. In walks Frank Longbottom, sixth year Gryffindor prefect, and behind him, staying in the doorway, is Alice.

"Hey Lily! You forgot this!" She waves a piece of parchment out at me.

"My schedule!" I hurry across the room to take it from her and give her a huge hug. "Alice, you are an absolute life saver!"