Into the Forest

Author's Note: One more double chapter drop! See you guys next week, thanks for all the love and comments :)

**************************

I misjudge how high I am off the ground. When my feet hit, it's awkward and I stumble, catching my foot the wrong way on a gnarled root clawing out of the dirt. My ankle gives out, pitching me to the ground.

I catch myself before my face slams against the forest floor, but it's too late for my ankle. I drag myself behind the nearest tree so I'm hidden from view and bend to examine the injury.

I'm no medic, but the blue-black color already staining my skin can't be good. I poke at the affected area and wince as pain sears up my leg. Even so, I decide to try my weight on it. I can hardly wait here for Rosier to find me and finish me off.

Using the tree trunk for support, I drag myself up, keeping my weight off my injured foot for as long as possible. When I'm fully upright, I gingerly shift to see how much weight it will take. It hurts, but finally I'm standing without the aid of the tree. I don't think it's broken, but tears trickle down my cheeks from the exertion, and I suspect it's at least badly twisted.

I can't believe this is happening! After everything, being cornered by the Slytherins and managing to escape, a stupid, poorly executed leap and equally stupid ankle might be my downfall.

But clattering on the other side of the wall stirs my resolve. Lily Evans is not going down for a sprained ankle. Swallowing the pain, I hobble forward, away from Hogsmeade and deeper into the undergrowth.

The thick canopy of trees closes over my head, blocking out the full moon and stars and any hint of light. I falter, then stop, worried about slamming into a tree trunk or, worse, some kind of animal. The distant sounds of the Slytherins' shouting muffles through the gloom, like I'm hearing them from underwater.

"She went into the Forest!"

One of them curses.

"After her!" roars another, and I recognize Rosier. "We can't let her get away again."

A moment later the stillness of the Forest breaks with crashing footsteps. They've all got their wands lit, and I don't blame them. It's really very dark in here. In fact, I quite appreciate the light source. Now I can see right where they are.

The problem is, I'd originally intended to let them see me and lose them once we got deeper into the trees. Now, though, such a chase is out of the question. I can barely walk, let alone run. But I don't want them to give up and go back into town. I need a distraction.

I look around but all I see are trees, rocks, and the underbrush. I freeze when I note a large shape rising out of a dense cluster of ferns but relax when I realize it's just a twisted stump. And mistaking it for something living gives me an idea.

If it hadn't been for all my lessons with James this year, I'd never dare try it, because I'd know it would never work. But thanks to him, my Transfiguration skills have massively improved. I need something roughly human sized that, in the gloom, might pass for an eighteen-year-old girl trying to sneak away on all fours through the thick undergrowth. Concentrating fiercely, not daring to utter the spell aloud, I direct my wand toward the stump and flick.

The stump transforms effortlessly into a little doe.

"Yes," I hiss, and I lunge for her.

Startled, she bolts away, the sound of her bounds against the forest floor as loud as the explosions back in the alleyway.

"There she is!" Regulus hollers, and all four of them take off after the deer. I grin and strike out in the exact opposite direction.

Several minutes later, though, and I'm feeling anything but pleased. I may have successfully evaded Rosier, but I am hopelessly, perilously lost.