Chapter 33: Fight in the Woods

Death Eaters.

Here. At Petunia's wedding.

I wrench my wand out of the pocket of my dress and send an Impediment Jinx over my shoulder, not checking to see if it found a mark. Even if it did, there are still three others to worry about. Another jet of light whizzes by, exploding against the tree just to my left with a blast. I throw myself behind a fat maple and shoot several Disarming Spells. At least one of their wands goes flying, and a Death Eater chases after it. But two more curses come my way, and I have to duck behind the tree before they hit me. I can hear their footsteps thundering closer, and I start running again, away from the manor, deeper into the woods.

What are they doing here? What were the chances this was a random attack, like the ones Dumbledore had been dealing with? But then why were they targeting me?

I can't go back inside, can't draw them into the wedding where Mum and Dad and Petunia and Great-Aunt Ruth and so many innocent muggles are. And I'm afraid if I disapparate, they'll attack the wedding anyways. My only immediate thought is to draw them away, hold them off as long as I can.

But I don't know how much longer that will be. I manage to land a Leg-locking Curse on the short one, but the one I disarmed has already returned with his wand, and they are all taller than me, gaining on me as I run, run, run.

My shoes are slowing me down. The heels catch on stones and tree roots and sink into the dirt. I kick them off. But just that one second pause makes me vulnerable, and another spell hits a tree next to me again. My relief it missed me is immediately replaced by terror, though, when the tree's roots burst from the ground and wrap around my ankles. I shriek and fall as the roots continue to wind like snakes up my legs.

One of the Death Eaters shouts, "I got her!" and the four of them pound through the undergrowth, getting closer.

"Cadere!" I point my wand at a giant oak, ignoring the scaly bark against my bare calves. The tree groans and, in slow motion, starts to fall. The Death Eaters scatter, yelling, as the tree topples down with a huge crash, sending up a cloud of dust.

It buys me enough time to free myself. "Diffindo!" I shout, pointing my wand at the roots, wincing as the spell cuts through the supple wood and catches my skin. I use magic to hack the rest of the roots away. When I stand, my legs are a bloody mess – literally – and the hem of my elegant dress is shredded.

I look up and see the Death Eaters climbing over the tree. One, two, three, four... I didn't even pin one of them with it.

For the first time, I realize I might not make it.

I'm all alone.

And I can't take all four of them myself.

It's a desperate move, one that doesn't even make any sense, but it's all I can think to do in this moment, with panic and fear and adrenaline coursing through my body.

I point my wand to the sky and, with all the force I can muster, send my plea for help to the one person I know who always has my back, who I can count on. Who I need, right now.

It's not one specific memory that comes to mind, but rather, a mishmash of moments over the last few months: James ruffling his hair in amused exasperation, his hand over mine guiding me through a spell, the firelight in the kitchens flickering in his eyes, the nearness of his body when he'd hugged me on the platform. James laughing, teasing, running a thumb down my cheek. James.

"Expecto Patronum!"

My silver doe bursts into the dark night and streaks away. I have no time to wonder if it will even work, if she can find James, if he will understand, if it will be fast enough, because one of the Death Eaters is on me, and a shot of deadly purple light whizzes toward me, leaving a scorched smell in its wake.