Professor Dumbledore's Assignment

Author's Note: Posting early today because I can, and then I can go to bed at a decent time tonight HA :) I think you're going to like this one....

*******************************************************************

It's not a minute after eight when I hesitantly approach Professor Dumbledore's office. My steps falter when James pushes out from behind a tapestry hanging on the wall – those Marauders and all their secret passages. He pauses for a moment too when he sees me.

We meet in front of the gargoyle.

"Hey, Lily," James says. His voice is subdued.

"Hello," I say, not looking at him. Par for the course today. The few times I have looked at him scrambled my brain plenty. I know better than that by now. "Should we go up?" I ask, gesturing lamely at the gargoyle.

He shrugs. "I think you'll do what you want."

I wince and address the gargoyle. "Treacle tart."

It steps aside and we climb the spiraling stairs in silence. James's footsteps echo behind mine. I knock on the door at the top. The moment we wait alone stretches too long. Even though he stays a respectable distance away on the step below me, I'm acutely aware of him. He shifts his weight and brings one hand up to fiddle with his hair, and I have the wild urge to apologize and clear this weird tension between us. I don't know if I'd be apologizing for today, or not answering his letters, or just for kissing him in the first place, but the hurt accusation in his tone earlier bothers me.

"James," I start, but before I get any further, the door swings inward and reveals Professor Dumbledore's long silver beard and twinkling blue eyes.

"Miss Evans, Mr. Potter. Perfectly punctual, as expected." He steps aside to let us in. "Come sit. We have much to discuss."

James follows Professor Dumbledore inside without looking at me and, after a moment, I do the same, resolving to apologize after the meeting. We take our usual spots in the armchairs at Dumbledore's desk. I perch on the very edge.

"Thank you both for coming," Professor Dumbledore says, settling into the great gold chair behind his desk.

"Professor, first you need to know what happened over break –" James starts, but Dumbledore cuts him off.

"I already know," he says calmly.

"You do?"

Dumbledore inclines his head. "I met with Miss Evans before the return to school."

"Oh," James says. He glances quickly my way and away again. I can feel his accusation. You should have told me.

"But that wasn't how you found out," I say to Professor Dumbledore instead. "You already knew about the attack when you showed up at my house."

"That is true," Dumbledore admits. "I didn't need you to tell me that it happened; I needed you to clarify some details."

"How'd you know, sir?" James asks.

"It was your loudmouth mates," I accuse, but Dumbledore shakes his head. "No?" I ask, surprised. "But that's what you told me..."

Dumbledore sighs. "That is what I told you, Miss Evans, and it's not altogether a lie; Mr. Lupin and Mr. Black did indeed let me know – rather unknowingly – that it was your sister's wedding where the magic was performed. However, my attention was first brought to this matter when I got a notification from the Ministry the Trace had been broken."

I draw back, frowning.

"The Trace?" James asks. "But that doesn't make any sense. Lily and I are both of age, we wouldn't have set off the Trace."