The Defense Association

Author's Note: Read [bracketed] text as struck-through! Sorry this chapter is a bit late but thanks everyone for your enthusiasm! You guys are the best :) Enjoy and Happy (late) Valentine's Day <3 

*********************************************

Dearest Lily,

Trouble with mates already and it's only the first week of school? I'm sorry you and Emmeline are having problems. I don't know her that well, but I know she's always been a good friend to you. I'm sure whatever you're going through will pass. Sometimes all you can do is offer kindness – maybe that's all she needs right now.

I'm thrilled to hear you and James are back on good terms, though. Do tell him hi and we hope to see him again. But don't get so caught up with him that you neglect your school work. Just kidding dear. I know you would never. And I know you'll do brilliantly on your Transfiguration exam. You really shouldn't doubt yourself so much.

You also shouldn't underestimate your mother, who can see right through how you're trying to brush these accidents in our world aside. I know you don't want us to worry, but don't you think it'd be better for us to be aware? And don't forget - it's my job to worry about you. Let me worry about you. And... I'm also worried about Petunia. Even if I'm not very happy with her at the moment (I did get after her about all that wedding mess for you), her living in the city, and all these accidents happening in similar places... I want both my girls to be safe. So please do let me know whether or not I should actually be worried.

I miss you everyday. But I must admit, even though I miss you and worry and wonder... I do think you were right to go back to school. Be safe. I love you.

Love,

Mum

***

Tuesday I bully James into one last tutoring session before the big Transfiguration exam on Friday, and that reminds me I have my own tutoring duties to uphold, so Wednesday I meet with Timothy, whose Charms abilities are coming along very nicely. "You must have been studying over Christmas," I tell him, and his ears turn a pleased pink.

But on Thursday, we finally get the chance to meet with the students Professor Dumbledore approved for defensive magic practice to showcase to the Ministry.

We spoke to Professor McGonagall after class on Wednesday to arrange it. "You can use my spare classroom from eight to nine. I expect it locked up when you are done, and everything in the exact order you found it. No exceptions."

"Not a problem, Professor," James said cheerfully, and Professor McGonagall looked at me like she thought I'd be the problem.

"I'll keep them out of trouble," I promised her, because that's the only thing I can think of that she wants from me.

"Hmm," was all she'd said.

"So bloody unfair," I muttered as James and I left, and he laughed.

"Just ace her exam on Friday and she'll adore you forever."

"Not likely..."

So really it's a good thing we have this meeting tonight, because otherwise I'd be hyperventilating over my Transfiguration textbook in the girls dormitory and that would not be helpful to anyone, including me.

Instead, I hyperventilate in the spare Transfiguration classroom waiting for everyone to arrive.

"Calm down, Lily," Marlene says. She and Alice had accompanied me here to be early, and she perches on the windowsill watching the snowfall outside. "You lead meetings like this all the time."