Chapter 30: They're Not Love Letters, Mum

Author's Note: Read [bracketed] text as struck-through :)

***

Monday 19 December

Dear Potter,

First of all, before you get all excited that I'm actually writing you over holidays, know I'm only posting this to let you know I made it home unscathed, despite your little display on the platform. Mum only badgered me about you for half the drive before Dad made her shut up. So really, this is a 'take that' kind of letter. Not a friendly one or anything.

I also wanted to let you know I spoke to Petunia and we both made it through that conversation relatively unscathed as well. I think. Sort of. I mean, she did tell me I couldn't be a bridesmaid ("I've already got the dresses! No time to order another one! And Lily missed the bridal shower already anyways!") BUT I did convince her to allow me to come to the wedding. I mean, she could hardly tell me not to come with Mum right there. So, victory?

Furthermore, as you predicted, she's also granted me a plus one. Grudgingly. But I do have one. So I guess the real reason I'm writing is to formally and OFFICIALLY invite you to attend the one and only Evans-Dursley wedding on Friday the 30th of December. I hear it's supposed to be quite the event. Or not. I actually don't know (scorned sister of the bride, remember?). I really couldn't care less at this point how many tiers are on their bloody cake or if Petunia went with roses or peonies or whatever rubbish flowers are available in wintertime. But I'd like it if you were there. With me. As a friend, you know.

[Love,]

[Your friend,]

[Sincerely,]

Lily

***

Tuesday 20 December

Dear Lily,

Don't worry, I would never presume you're writing to me just because you want to. Merlin forbid anyone realize we are actually – gasp – friends! What would people think, after six years of rivalry?

Glad to know your mum was charmed. That was my plan all along. She's on my side now, I can tell... How will you ever gripe about me to her again? Don't try to deny it, I know she's heard plenty about me from you. I could tell by the way she wouldn't stop trying to make eye contact with you after she met me. And the way you wouldn't let her. Dear me, Evans, what have you been saying about me? All good things, I hope.

I'm also home safely, though Sirius did nearly kill me when he charmed his trunk to fly up the stairs to his room just as I was coming down. Let's just say if it weren't for my impeccable Quidditch reflexes, I wouldn't be returning to Hogwarts in January. Although part of the banister on our main staircase might be missing now... and of course Mum blamed me over Sirius. Typical. Got any ideas to get back into a mother's good graces? Sirius can't stay her favorite son forever...

Wow, really selling the wedding invite, aren't you? Can't promise me a grand party or a five-tiered cake. What's the point in coming?
I'm just kidding, of course. Of course I will be there. It wouldn't matter if the wedding was held in a leaky barn and your sister served kippers straight from the tin – I'd be there. For you.

James

***

Wednesday 21 December

Dear Potter,

Tell Sirius to be more careful. I can't have [my date] [wedding partner] you indisposed for the wedding. Who would stop me from making a terribly embarrassing and negative toast?