Chapter 9: We all Need Somebody to Lean On

Nika

Tomorrow is Thursday the first day of court for Jade, and it's also going to be the day I get the whole team to agree to go to court on Friday.

I called a team meeting in mine and Paige's dorm. Where I gave them this very inspiring speech...

Well for one thing thank you all for coming. I know it was such a last minute thing, but I believe that it's important. I called this meeting to ask you guys for help. Tomorrow is the first day of court for my sister's best friend Jade Taylor. You all know her as the girl who was assaulted by her boyfriend Matt Wells at our game versus Tennessee a week ago.

And the thing that I wanted to ask is for you guys to help me get permission to go to the last day of court on Friday. I believe that she needs more people on her side in that court room. She needs us. I believe she needs to know women support women.

So what do you guys think, do you want to go with me to court and get permission from Geno?

At first everyone just stared at me, and honestly I think it's because I would never have done anything like this. I always had this hard exterior and never really let anyone in, but somehow Jade opened me up.

Paige was the one who broke the silence and said that she is in and she will go to court with me. And just like the domino effect the rest of the team decided to go to. So tomorrow at the end of practice we are going to stand together as a team asking Geno if we could go.

Later when I went to my room, I sent Jade a good night text and not even a minute later I got one back.

Man Jade what are you doing to me? And with that question in mind I fell asleep.

The Next Morning

When I woke up to my 7 am alarm I noticed that I had a message. The message was from Jade apparently she has been up for an hour and started to freak out about seeing Matt again.

Instead of just texting her back I just FaceTime her. I didn't even fix my hair or anything, and neither did she. ( And man does she look hot with messy hair and no makeup.) I try to compose myself to give her this pep talk that she definitely needs to hear

Okay I am going to make this quick because I still have to get ready for practice, but I know you need to hear this.

Jade Taylor you are strong and brave. You shouldn't be the one walking into that court room terrified. Matt is the one who should be terrified. He already has been expelled and kicked off the team for the abuse he did to you and the damage that he did to your university's reputation.

This court case is supposed to be a way to get closure, so you can put this behind you. This court case is to show everyone that emotional and physical abuse is not acceptable behavior. So in all honesty he will be the one sweating in his seat praying that he will only have to do a couple months of jail time and then community service.

So if he says anything to put you down or tries to ruin you more than he already has. Just remember all of the people who are standing behind you. Promise me that you will remember.

Jade- I promise. And thank you for the pep talk. You always know what I need to hear. Anyways good luck with practice and I will message you when court is over.

Until then lol.

After I hung up with Jade I got around for practice and met up the rest of the team where I confirmed that we are all in this together.

Geno had us running drills for two hours before letting us scrimmage. All through practice Geno complimented everyone on how well we were doing today.

Geno- it looks like everyone woke up ready to play today.

This means Geno is in a good mood. Which is right where we want him. As practice comes to an end he starts to make his announcements.

Geno- Okay so it's still the off season and I know Halloween is this week, but I still believe that we should practice. So I want you to be here tomorrow morning. Ok dismiss.

Actually coach we were wanting to talk to you about tomorrow.

Geno- what about it?

Paige- do you remember the incident that happened at our off season game against Tennessee?

Geno- of course. What about it?

Well Jade Taylor who was the victim is a very close friend to my sister and she means a lot to us.

Aaliyah- Tomorrow is the last court day.

Azzi- and we all want to go as a team and support her.

So we are asking for your permission to go and not only support our friend, but to show everyone that we don't support abuse.

Paige- what do you say coach? Can we go?

Geno looks at all of us and the coaches and says.

Geno- If we are going as a team. We are going as a complete team, we are all in this together.

So with that we all cheered, and Geno helped us find a flight to Indiana.

As we entered the locker room I told everyone not to post about going to court because I want to surprise everyone. And Geno agreed because we don't want crowds at the airport waiting for us.

As we were leaving the locker room Geno told everyone to be back here at 5pm because all of us will have to be at airport for a 7pm flight to Indiana. He even found hotel rooms for us.

So every thing is going to plan. I just can't wait to see the look on Jade's face when she sees all of us sitting in the back of the courtroom supporting her.

Author note: I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Honestly I think it was the easiest chapter to write so far. Don't forget to comment.