Chapter 33: The Truth Always Comes Out

Jade

Three weeks later

It's been three weeks since I messaged Nika that I needed break. I miss her so much, but I needed time to process all of this and find out the truth.

The media is showing the public many different stories about what happened that night, but I only wanted to know the truth. Plus they are still waiting for me to comment about it and why I ran away. I just don't want to answer them yet.

Nika is getting ready for a lawsuit against Sky and someone else. Hana didn't tell me who the second person is and for some reason I feel like she is not telling me something.

I have the championship game in a couple of days, and it's against UConn of course. So they are definitely going to have a lot of press there, and a lot of publicity. People just want to see the show down.

I have today off so I decided to spend it with my family. So I am driving home right now, and my dad said that we need to talk when I get there. I don't know what it's about, but it definitely sounds serious.

When I pulled into the driveway, Mr. James was waiting for me. I gave him a hug while he welcomed me home. I told him that I miss being home and with that we walked inside.

Mr. James- Your mother Is in her office on a call, and your father is out back if you want to meet him back there.

Thank you James.

I head to the back to talk to my father. Hopefully he will tell me what he needs to. When I see him he's definitely not his happy self and I can tell something is weighing on him.

Hey Dad.

Dex- Hey Jay I was wondering when you were going to show up today.

Yeah I decided to leave early this morning, so I could drive back this evening. Anyways what did you want to talk to me about dad?

Dex- Come sit because it's a lot to take in. The first thing I want to talk to you about is the whole Nika situation. ( He opens his laptop.)

What do you mean?

Dex- I have something to show you, and it's going to help you understand what really happened. But I want you to know that Nika was set up.

Hana told me that Nika has evidence of Sky setting her up. Plus Nika is preparing for a lawsuit against Sky and one other person.

Dex- So you don't know who the other person is?

No, Hana wouldn't tell me for some reason. Do you know who the person is?

Dex- Yes I do and you are about to find out.

He moved his laptop in front of me, and the first thing I see is a picture of my mom and Sky meeting up. The next one is a video and we can hear them talking. I listen to them talking about a deal and how my mom wants it to go down. Then they shook hands and went there separate ways.

After the video, my dad started to show me screenshots of their conversations and it shows when and how they got the photos to leak to the media.

Dex- I know that this was a lot to take in...

So you are telling me that my mom did all of this to make me break up with Nika. She put me through all of this pain and suffering just so it doesn't hurt our family image because we are republicans.

Dex- Yes, but...

No buts dad, and you knew about it.

Dex- I was the one who collected all of the evidence, because I knew I couldn't stop her. I collected all of it to help you and Nika.

So you are telling me that this is the evidence that Nika has for the lawsuit? So the second person who is getting sued is mom?

Dex- Yes to both. But I have something else to tell you.

What can be more important than that?

Dex- Your mom and I are separating. She went too far with this and I can't believe that she would hurt you just to protect an image.

Wait what? This is a lot to take in.

Dex- I knew it would be, but you deserve to know the truth, plus an article is going to be released any minute now. So, the whole world will see that our family just imploded.

Wait so the media knows about my secret relationship with Nika?

Dex- No we left that part out. The article is about our filing for divorce, and how I couldn't forgive her for doing something that hurt the family. And I talked about how your mother only cares about her image. She came back at me saying that she knew that we were going to divorce because the love between us disappeared.

I am so sorry dad this is probably one of the hardest things that you have done. (Hugging him and we are both crying together.)

When we both pulled ourselves back together, we decided to head inside. When we made it to the front of the house there were a lot of people who were carrying things out. It was all of my mother's stuff.

Dex- I guess she found a place and finally moving out.

A few minutes later, my mother walks down the stairs. The moment we made eye contact I saw guilt in her eyes and then it changed to disappointment.

Addie- I am going to guess that your father has told you what is happening and why we are getting a divorce.

How...

Addie- Before you start asking why I would do it, I hope you understand that I wasn't just thinking about our family image. I was thinking about you too. I know you thought you were in love with her, but that's not true. How could you love someone like her who lied and didn't tell you about making out with someone else on New Year's?

You were not thinking about me when you decided to ruin the only real relationship I had. I loved her mom. She meant the world to me. She was the best thing to ever happen to me. I know that you are homophobic, but I don't need your approval. I'm a grown woman who can be with whoever I want. I can be with a man or a woman and you don't get to choose. And for the record I know Sky got Nika wasted that night and Sky took advantage. It was all a set up you helped create. So if I learned anything from this it would be that voters are more important to you than me.

Addie- Don't say that I love you.

No, you only want me around when you're hosting a party and want to show off your perfect daughter. I always pushed myself so hard to make you proud of me. But I was never enough.

Addie- That's not true I am proud of you and I love you.

If you loved me then why would you ruin the one relationship that made me happy.

(With that my mom went speechless for the first time.)

That's what I thought.

I turned around and looked at my dad and told him that I am going to leave and that I will come back after my championship game.

On my way out I said goodbye to James and told him that I will see him again soon.

As I started to drive away, I decided that I didn't want to go back to the softball house. Honestly I don't know where I want to be right now.

I ended up driving back to campus, but I ended up at the softball stadium. As I walked onto the field, I just knew that this is where I belong. I have played softball all my life. It has always been there for me. This is my home.

As I stood here I have made my decision on how I want to move forward. I pulled out my phone to make a couple different phone calls and I messaged Nika for the first time in three weeks telling her that I have made my decision.

Author note: What do you think her decision is? What did she say to Nika? We will find out in the next chapter and like always don't forget to comment.