Chapter 16: Focus is Key

Nika

I'm back in Indiana for the first time since I had that talk with Jade. It has been a hard three weeks for me. I decided to give her the space she needed, but I came to the conclusion that she is better off without me.

Since I stopped messaging her and haven't had any contact with her for a whole week I started to look at her social media posts.

She looks so happy smiling and posing with Maddie and Hana. In others she is having the time of her life dancing and flirting. I threw my phone when I saw the video of her dancing with a men's basketball player. I was just so jealous and couldn't take it anymore, so I just stopped talking.

Like she said that night she doesn't even know if she is into women. It just hurts to know that she loves a lot of things about me, but doesn't want to be with me. It's just so frustrating.

Paige and Azzi know that I have been taking it very hard, but all of this aggression is helping me with my game driving me to push harder than ever. I gave Paige and Azzi one job while we are here and that is to keep me focused and motivated on winning this tournament. And not looking for Jade in the stands hoping that she is watching.

Right now we are getting ready to watch the Ball state and u of I game before our game that starts at 10 right after this one vs Mizzou. On the other court. Villanova is playing Louisville. After that game it will be Iowa vs Tennessee. Then we get a break while the first semifinal game plays. Then we will play again if we win at 2. Then the last game will play tonight at 7 which gives us a 3 hour break in between. So yes it will definitely be a fight to the finish.

So when we enter we sat down three rows behind the scorer's table. So we had really good seats to cheer my sister on. That's also when I let myself look around and Paige caught me.

Paige- stop looking around for Jade.

Sorry it's just hard because I know she is here somewhere in the stands getting to cheer on my sister.

Paige- I understand but you need to focus, because we could be facing one of these teams later in the tournament.

Okay I promise I will focus. After that both teams come running out of the tunnel. And I focused in on the game.

Ball State was on fire in the first quarter. They're winning 24- 8. And my sister has a big fan a section over from us. I don't know what he looks like, but he yells very loudly when my sister scores.

Just then my sister scores another 3 and the guy jumps up and yells "that's my girl." At that point Paige turns and looks at me.

Paige- I didn't know Hana had a boyfriend.

Neither did I.

Paige- that's weird.

You can say that again.

We started to pay attention to the game again. We watched them go back and forth until the end of the second half making it halftime. Ball state is winning 48-18. Hana already has 20 points. She got pulled over for a quick interview.

Holly- Hana it's definitely great to see you back on the court and today you are killing it. How do you think you're team is doing?

Hana- I think we are definitely playing smart. We are definitely setting the pace and showing them that we are here to win.

Holly- How does it feel to have such a great crowd. Especially that young man that is sit just right over there?

Hana- Holly it feels amazing, and for that young man over there he can call me anytime?

Holly- wow flirting with a fan I see?

Hana- He' s not just a fan and he really does have my number. That's Hayden Taylor my best friend's brother.