Chapter 10: We Can't Back Down

Jade
Court day 1

After I got done talking to Nika on FaceTime. I got dressed in my court outfit for day 1. My outfit was a navy blue power suit, and honestly it really did give me more confidence. Then after I did my hair and makeup which I didn't put that much makeup on. I went to meet my family for breakfast.

During breakfast I got a little nervous about court again and my mom said that everything will be fine. But the only thing that could calm me down is remembering what Nika told me this morning.

After Breakfast we headed for the court house. And it wasn't until I saw all of those people standing outside that I realized how much more important this court case is to the country.

I try to remember what the lawyers said about what to do when I arrive. 1. There will be two guards that will escort me inside. 2. Do not answer the reporter's questions. You will answer them after the judge and jury's verdict on Friday. 3. When you get inside we will be waiting for you and we will walk you into the courtroom.

With that in mind I followed it completely. I didn't answer any questions and let the guards escort me inside to my lawyers.

As my lawyers walked me into the courtroom, they reminded me that the defendant is going to try to make me look like a person who couldn't be trusted and that the video was a one time thing.

The good thing is that I don't have a record. I have many glowing recommendations from teachers and classmates a like. Plus I have a history doing volunteer work and working with charities.

Not only that but I have the majority of support from the media. It will take something big to really put doubt in the judge and jury's minds. But the defendant will definitely try.

I sat down with my lawyers at the table my family sat in the row behind me and behind them was my friends and teammates. Then somewhere sitting behind them are the witnesses that will testify against Matt.

Speaking of the devil. Matt walks into the courtroom wearing a suit and tie. That's when I realized that he is wearing the tie I bought him for his birthday to wear to games.

I know it's a mind game, so I am going to remember what Nika said and not let him get under my skin. That was the last time I looked at Matt today.

A few minutes later, we all rises for the judge, before he told us to take our seats. Court case Taylor v Wells. Defendant accused of assault and abuse to miss Taylor for the majority of their relationship except for the first three months. But the defendant is fighting back by saying that Taylor is lying and the video was the only time he ever laid a hand on her, so he deserves a lighter punishment.

Judge- is that correct?

Both parties stood and said, "that's right your honor."

We all sat back down except for my lawyer.

Lawyer- You honor we are here to day not only to get justice for miss Taylor, but prove to the country that assault and abuse is not tolerated in any aspect of life. And if you do cause harm to others then you have to face the consequences for your choices and actions it is that simple.

Judge- a good opening argument as always and now for the rebuttal.

Defendant- Like he Just stated everyone has to face the consequences for their actions and Mr. Wells understands that. He understands that he needs to face the consequences of what happened in that video. But that was the only time he had ever physically hurt miss Taylor. The relationship between these two young people was real to the very end. Have you seen how they looked at each other and how they moved around their schedules to see each other. He even was invited to her house this year? There was no threats or abuse. They are just young.