Chapter 13: When one door closes another one opens

Jade

I finally told my lawyer that I need some privacy. We stood up and walked out of the courtroom. As I was walking I can feel the eyes of every single person on me. I'm just using every bit of my strength to hold myself together long enough to be able to breakdown in private.

The took me down the hallway into a boardroom. I walked in by myself and shut the door behind me. I slid down the door crying so hard. I started to overthink and it's causing me to have a panic attack.

My dad is the one who came in and held me just like he did when he stopped me from taking my own life. My dad is my anchor who keeps me grounded and safe.

We stayed like that for 15 minutes until I calmed down enough.

Dad- are you going to be okay?

Yes, but I think that I am going to stay here until we go back for the verdict.

Dad- okay well we are going to leave and get lunch, do you want anything?

Honestly I can't eat until after this is all over.

Dad- okay we will be back okay if you need anything just text me and I'll come back.

And with that we hugged until I was all alone again.

Nika

Honestly after seeing the truth about Jade and her relationship with Matt, I am completely shocked. I didn't know that it was this bad and when I saw the shocking expression on my sister's face I knew she didn't know about it either.

When they called recess all I wanted was to hold Jade and tell her that everything will be okay. But she ended up rushing off somewhere with her lawyers.

I followed my teammates and coaches into the lobby, but that's where I told Geno that I had to go check on my sister and make sure she is okay and told him that I will be back after recess and when they come to a verdict. He told me that it was fine and they all left for lunch.

I finally found my sister farther down a hallway with Jade's family by her side. When she saw me she ran into my arms.

Hana- I didn't know

I know and it's okay. Everything will be okay.

She just nods in my embrace. And then she pulls away.

Hana- We are about to go get lunch do you want to come?

Before I could answer Jade's dad comes out of the room.

Dex (Jade's dad)- Jade says that she is going to wait here and doesn't want anything to eat until it's over.

Addie (Jade's mom)- Well we shouldn't leave her here alone.

I could stay with her.

They both stared at me until...

Dex- you must be Nika. Jade has said so much about you.

( He stretched out his hand to shake mine. As we shook hands I said) only good things I hope.

Dex- absolutely a lot of good things and honestly she would most likely appreciate your company. Just ignore her if she tells you to leave okay.

Whatever you say sir

Dex- you don't need to call me sir. Call me Dex and this is my Wife Addie.

Jade's mom gave me a hug and says...

Addie- I remember you at the hospital and of course you are Hana's older sister. It's nice to formally meet you.

It's nice to finally meet all of you too, but seriously I will stay here with Jade while you guys go get lunch.