Chapter 24: New Year's Eve

Jade

It's been hard these past couple of days. Nika has been busy with basketball practice and I have been practicing for softball, so we haven't talked much since Christmas.

I know that most people would say not to worry about it, because they see how much we care for each other. I believe that we can get through our busiest time of the year, because I love her with all of my heart.

Today is New Year's Eve, and I am so bummed that I can't be with Nika tonight. I know she feels the same way. We talked last night, and a little bit this morning before practice.

She did say that she would be missing me today, and Paige is making her go to a party with her to cheer her up.

Apparently Nika has been bummed out since she showed back up at UConn. Nika doesn't know, but Paige messaged me saying that this long distance relationship is taking its toll on her.

I tried to cheer her up, and it seems like she is starting to be less bummed. Plus we have plans to see each other in a couple of weeks because she is going to my softball game against Penn State.

So not only am I so excited to play again, but I get to see Nika. It's going to be amazing.

I just got done working out when I got a message from Maddie.

Maddie- Are you done working out yet, because we need help setting up for the New Year's Eve party.

Don't worry Maddie I was on my way back anyways.

Maddie- that's good because Blake and the baseball boys are having technical difficulties with the sound system.

I thought I told them not to touch it, because I was going to finish setting it up when I got back.

Maddie- I told them that if they touched it and mess it up that you would be mad.

Well tell them to stop touching it or we will not have a sound system tonight. Which means it will be all of us in silence.

Maddie- Okay they stopped messing with it, and hopefully they didn't mess it up too badly.

Okay I will see if I can fix it when I get there.

With that I grabbed my bag and headed out to the parking lot.

On the way to my car, someone yelled my name. I turned around and it was Cody. He plays on the baseball team too. He is also the catcher and people use to pair us together. That was before I got together with Matt. But yeah Cody is handsome and kind. He was nice to me and he also knew that Matt wasn't treating me right.

Cody- Hey Jade are you leaving to help set up with the party?

Yeah I was just heading there, because apparently your boy Blake messed up the sound system.

Cody- Sounds like something Blake would do lol. Do you need me to punch him for you?

I don't think I do unless I can't fix the sound system and then maybe.

Cody- Well you have my number, so you can message me if you change your mind.

Where are you off to?

Cody- I was put on snack duty, so when I noticed you walking to your car I was going to ask you if you wanted to go with me.

You know what I think I will go with you, but only if I can run by the softball house and look at the sound system first.

Cody- Deal I will meet you there.

And with that I got into my car and drove back to the softball house. And when I got there it was chaos.

When I walked in, Maddie saw me and ran to me saying that everything is not good well. I could tell and then more people started to ask me questions at the same time. That's when I realized what I had to do. So I yelled with my captain voice.