Chapter 12

Thursday: Christmas Eve

"Hi guys," I say with a big smile on my face. I hug my god-sister Cheyenne first, then hug my god-brother Cameron. "I'm so glad you finally made it."

"Shawn get lost again?" I ask his wife, Rebecca, as I give her a hug.

She smiles at me. "You know Shawn. Refuses to stop for directions. I told him we should've flown instead."

"Well, I get air sickness," Shawn says coming into the foyer. "Ms. Rollins. Give me a hug." I laugh as he pulls me into a bear hug.

"Shawnee. I can't breathe."

"Oops, my mistake." He pulls away. "Where is everyone? I need your uncle and dad to help me with the luggage."

I wave my hand behind me. "Everywhere. Uncle Shane, Aunt Marissa, and Gramps are watching the Chargers and Raiders game. Yaya and Mom are setting the table for dinner. And Dad is in the kitchen refusing to let anyone help him, as he finishes preparing the food."

"Typical Hunter. Hunter! Shane! Get off your butts and help me." Shawn says going deeper into the house.

I turn to Rebecca. "Cousins are outside playing in the snow with Seth, and I'm going out there if Cameron and Cheyenne want to come." I look to them and Cameron smirks before running past me, out the back door. Cheyenne, whose 11 yrs old, rolls her eyes.

"When are me and you going to get more girls to play with?"

I laugh and shrug, "Not anytime soon I'm afraid." I agreed with her. Way too many guys in the family. We had my cousins, Uncle Shane's kids: Declan, who was the same age as Cheyenne, Kenyon, who was 9, and Rogan, who was the youngest, at 5. My god-brother Cameron, Shawn's kid and Cheyenne's brother, at 15.

My phone buzzes in my pocket and I pull it out. I smile when I see the Caller I.D.

I look towards Rebecca and nod towards my phone. "I have to take this. Cheyenne? Tell everyone I'll meet them out there."

She nods and her and Rebecca make their way past me.

I accept the FaceTime call and see Alanna's smiling face.

"Hi, Auntie Ash."

"Hi, Alanna," I say, waving at her.

"Daddy let me open the present from you since it's Christmas Eve and look at how pretty she is." The phone moves to the Barbie Doll as Cinderella. Cinderella is her favorite Disney Princess

The camera goes back to her face and she smiles widely, one of her teeth missing in the front. "I love Cinderella. Thank you Auntie Ash."

"You're welcome." I make my way to the Christmas tree. "Should I open the gifts from you and your daddy now?"

She nods vigorously and throws two of her fingers in the air. "Yes! Yes! Yes!"

I smile at her mocking Daniel Bryan. "Okay, okay." I reach for Randy's to open his first.

"No, mine first," Alanna protest.

"Alright. Your gifts are always better anyway." I rip off the wrapping paper having the feeling that it's a doll. I always sent her dolls, and she sent me dolls. It was our thing.

When I see it, my smile twitches, but I continue to keep it on my face. "Alanna, can I talk to your Daddy, please?"

She nods and the phone is turned around to show Randy's face with a smirk on it. "Hey Ash. Like your gift from Alanna?"

"I-," I glance down at the doll again. It has milky white skin and dark black hair. Paige. I look back at the phone to see Alanna's face beside Randy's. "I love it. Thanks Alanna."