Step Seven: Making Her Believe

SmackDown

I walk down the hall between Brie and Nikki.

"Asher, obviously you're too good for him," Nikki tells me, rubbing my back.

Brie nods, agreeing with her sister. "Yeah. Who needs that Sellout?"

Tear start streaming down my face. "I do," I cry out and hug Nikki. Brie joins the hug.

"Asher?"

I release Nikki and Brie to see Paige standing there giving us weird looks.

"What if Paige doesn't believe that we really broke up?" Seth questioned in the meeting.

Dean looked at both of us. "You broke up on national television. Why wouldn't she believe that?"

Nikki pulled her feet under her and looked at Brie. "Because as me and Brie both know," she looked at me, "it's about how you handle yourself afterwards. I was heartbroken when John broke up with me, and you could see it on my face. I'm pretty sure Paige took joy in that."

Brie smirked, "Yeah, to be so young you wouldn't think she'd be such a home wrecker."

Dean clapped his hands together and pointed at Nikki. "You just said she took joy in her pain, which means that Asher can't act like herself around Paige."

I looked at him. "What does that mean?"

"You and Rollins aren't really broken up, and if you act how you act when you're together, she's going to know somethings not right."

Seth sighed. "What Dean is trying to say is that you have to be nice to her."

I frowned. I had no interest in that. Not to mention I didn't exactly know how to be nice to that crumpet. But I had to do it for the sake of the plan. "Alright, and how can I be what you guys call "nice" to her?"

Brie raised her eyebrows. "Easy. First, you need to smile."

I sniffled, forcing a sad smile. "Hey Paige."

Instead of smile back, she just continues to stare. "Well, I was going to come over and get a little payback for you knocking me out last week, but since you're already wallowing in your own sadness, I don't see the need to."

My smile drops. "Say what?" Brie elbows me.

"Second," Seth leaned his elbows on the table and looked at me with a smile. "No attitude or snappy comebacks."

I clear my throat. "I mean, yeah, about that. I'm sorry, I just had a lot going on and seeing you with Seth just kind of made me lose it, but you don't have to worry about that now."

Her eyes widen slightly with interest. "Oh?"

"Third." Dean slammed his hands on the table, looking me straight in the eyes as he pointed at me. "Sell your patheticness."

I wipe at a stray tear. "It's just," I sigh. "I don't know how I'm going to live without him."

Paige nods. "I'm sure you'll find a way."

"And fourth." Nikki smirked with her hand under her chin, "Cry your little eyes out."

I force the tears to pour out of my eyes. "I-I'm sorry Paige. Maybe we can talk later."

And there's the smile. "Of course. Feel better." She skips away and it takes all I have in me not to go after her.

"Can I please just hit her one time?" I ask, looking at both of the Bellas.

They laugh. "Not unless you want to blow our cover," Nikki says.

"And besides. You have to save your energy for the main event," Brie adds as they usher me to catering.

I shake my head. "Everybody's going to think I'm pathetic."

Nikki nods with a smile. "Then that means the plan is working."

"Yeah, yeah. I just can't wait until it's over."

--------------------------------

"We are back on Thursday Night SmackDown, and if you're just joining us, this is the main event between Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose," Tom announced.

Dean ducks Seth spinning kick to the head and rolls him up. Seth kicks out at 2.

"Byron, Tom," Jerry says, "Let me just say how great of a main event it has been."

"That's what you're bound to get King when you put these two in the ring together," Byron says.

Seth had Pedigreed Dean and was about to go for the cover until my music hit.

"What the," Jerry questions.

"Wait, do I have to lose to Ambrose?"

"No, you don't Sethie. This match is just to show how heartless you can be."

Dean scoffed. "I don't care what it is, I'm still going to be collecting on a title shot."

I run down to the ring and hop onto the apron. "Seth, please just talk to me."

"Are you crazy? I'm in a match." Seth comes closer and tries to shoo me to the back. "Get out of here."

I shake my head. "No, I'm not leaving without you."

"Well" King starts, "it doesn't look like Asher wants to leave. Hey, watch out!"

Seth moves out of the way just in time for Dean to "accidentally" shove me off the apron. 

"And Asher hits the arena floor hard!"

"And what exactly is me knocking you out going to accomplish?"

"Yeah," Seth agreed with Dean. "What if you get a concussion or something?"

I shushed them. "I'll be fine. But if we want to make Paige believe, this is how."

Dean stares down at me with wide eyes, giving Seth the time to roll him up for the three count.

"The winner of this match, the WWE World Heavyweight Champion, Seth Rollins!"

I sit up and grab at my arm as Seth towers over me with his championship. "I don't need you anymore, alright? Stay away from me!" He squats down to my level with a frown. "I love you. I'm just frowning so it looks like I'm being a jerk." I try not to smile as he stands up and walks away. 

The only thing I can do is what I've been doing these past two days: cry. Dean comes over to try and help me but I shove his arms away and stand up walking backstage myself, so the fans can think I have some pride. 

The announcers are quiet, but Tom finally speaks up, signing off. "That's all for SmackDown. We'll see you next week."

When I get backstage the Bellas run up to me. "Are you alright," Brie asks.

"You hit that mat pretty hard." I wave them away.

"Seriously, I feel fine." I look over their shoulders to see Paige walking by. Her eyes meet mine and she gives me a smirk, before continuing on her way.

I take a deep breath as I look at the girls. "But I'll feel even better when we stop that British twit once and for all."

"Agreed," they both say.

I put my hand to my temples. This girl was giving me a headache, but it would all be over soon.

As long as we get Step 8, the most important one. Nothing can possibly go wrong after that.