┌ Too Late - Royalty AU (Part 2) ┘

Author's Note: Hey!
I'm only realising now it's been a year since I published the first part of this AU... oops.
I haven't been writing much Sambucky stuff recently, but I've managed to finish this part, and I'm planning for there to be a third.
So, enjoy :)

————————

Bucky made his way through crowds of people, pushing through the market.
"Hey, you ready?"
He turned to the one speaking, it was Natasha, his best friend.
He nodded, though a little unsurely.
"Uh, yeah." he said, taking the cloak from her arms and throwing it around his shoulders. He pinned it with a scarlet broach.
"If we don't hurry up, we're gonna be late." Said Natasha, mounting her horse and waiting for Bucky to do the same.
Bucky sighed before climbing atop his horse. The two of them set off on their way.

Bucky was to have a meeting with a neighbouring kingdom about trades and alliances, and Natasha was to accompany him.
Many people in his kingdom found it foolish that he was to lead them, as he was still young, only nineteen. But who else was there? His parents died years ago, and now that he was of age, he had to be king.
He dreaded the meeting as he rode along the road, staring ahead.
It took them almost half the day to get there, with stops to give the horses a break every so often.

Bucky could see the turrets on the horizon, and soon enough, they were entering the town. It was bustling and busy with people.
They found a stable to leave their horses, and then Bucky and Natasha set off towards the castle.
"Nervous?" Said Natasha, nudging Bucky's arm as they passed the guards into the entrance of the castle.
Bucky faked a smile. "Course not," he lied.

They were given directions to the meeting room, and found it after a few minutes of being lost.
"My Queen," announced the guard who opened the door. "Prince James."
Bucky and Natasha stepped inside the room, where a large table stood and many people sat around. All the eyes were on them.

As much as Bucky had wanted to keep his eyes on the floor, he immediately searched the room.

Then he saw him, and their eyes met.
Sam.

Guilt overtook Bucky as Sam looked away, turning to the young woman beside him.

Shit.

"Good afternoon," greeted the Queen, and Bucky forced his attention to her. "I trust you found your way alright?"
Bucky nodded. "Yes, your majesty."
The Queen smiled.
"Please sit, we have much to discuss."

Bucky could hardly pay attention, though he knew he should. He couldn't keep his eyes off Sam, and it broke his heart a little more every time he looked at him.
It had been such a long time, and Bucky wished he could've just stayed.
The meeting was long, but things were arranged, and they now had a trade contract with the kingdom.

When he left the meeting room he tried to catch Sam's attention, but he walked right past, not even sparing him a glance.
Natasha came up to him.
"Hey, you alright? You look like you've seen a ghost..." she trailed off, following his gaze to Sam, where he stood with a woman. He embraced her, smiling.
Bucky's heart sank and his throat seized up. He quickly nodded to Natasha, grabbing her arm and pulling her away from the scene. Natasha looked puzzled all the way down the stairs.

"Bucky, what is going on?" She said, frowning at him as they came into a quiet hallway.
Bucky was on the verge of tears, trying to slow down his shallow breathing.
"He-" his lip trembled as he tried to speak.
"Oh..." Natasha's face softened. "That was Sam?"
Bucky nodded, putting his face in his hands.
"I was so stupid to come back here, thinking he'd want to see me again!" He said, his back against a wall.
Natasha moved towards him to comfort him.
"Hey, it's okay. It's gonna be okay." She said, putting a hand on his shoulder.
Her gaze moved to the stairs when she heard voices coming from that direction.