Chapter 3

PETER PARKER wanted to go home.

He hated the loud chatter of students, the glances others gave to him that clearly asked What the hell is he doing here? and Eugene 'Flash' Thompson. The moment Eugene had spotted him, he had stormed over, called him puny as well as other names. He had thrown in a couple punches (which was less than how much he had ever received in the twelve years he'd been in HYDRA), and Peter had endured it all.

But he couldn't go home. Home was HYDRA. Peter hated HYDRA. Winter Spider didn't, but Peter Parker sure did.

He wanted to tell someone so badly; he wanted to tell one of the three friends he had made. Harley, Ned, and MJ. But Winter Spider wouldn't let him say a word. So Peter was forced to endure it, silently and alone. He had nowhere safe.

Was 'safe' even a thing?

He didn't understand how people could stand, laughing together, when there were dangers looming everywhere. Muggers, robbers, murderers, rapists, HYDRA. He stared down at his hands, suddenly sick. Those hands once held knives that killed innocent people, people who had wanted to do good. Those hands had once been stained red with blood.

"Peter." He looked up sharply, meeting Harley's eyes. The same Harley who he was supposed to be kidnapping. "Are you okay? You got really pale all of a sudden."

"Yes," Winter Spider said, answering Harley's question. Peter looked at Harley pleadingly, as if saying that no, he was not okay, but it only seemed that Harley got more confused than ever. Sighing, Peter looked away, not missing the fact that Ned and Harley exchanged puzzled glances.

"Harley!" a voice sang as it grew near. Harley looked up and smiled, his eyes suddenly turning very bright.

"Hey, Gwen." He scooted sideways, letting Gwen have space beside him. Her hair fell down to her shoulders and her eyes were a bright blue, twinkling underneath the lights. "This is Peter Parker. He's new. Peter, this is Gwen Stacy."

"Hi, Peter," Gwen greeted, dimples on both cheeks as she smiled. "Nice to meet you."

Hi, Peter wanted to say. It's really nice to meet you, too!

But instead, Winter Spider replied with a simple "hello", which made Gwen's eyebrows furrow slightly but she shrugged, turning to Harley.

"So," she said, "what's been going on with you guys?"

The three of them spoke with each other, their faces and gestures animated. They were laughing, smiling, and with a sick sensation in his stomach, Peter remembered that he was going to ruin all that.

He was supposed to kidnap Harley.

It would destroy him.

HYDRA would brainwash him, turn him into an assassin, like they did with Peter.

He had to warn Harley.

His palms bit the edge of the table as he focused on pushing the Winter Spider back, pushing him into the back of his mind as he focused on the scene before him. Of Harley, Gwen, and Ned, all laughing together. He added MJ, too, though from what he knew of her, MJ wouldn't laugh. She would look on, with an endearing look hidden in her eyes.

He didn't realize he was shaking so hard that violent spasms were shuddering though his body.

He didn't see Gwen look at him, and didn't hear her harsh, "Guys, look!"

He didn't see Harley scrambling up, leaning across the table, trying to shake Peter awake, trying to calm him down. Harley was saying something to him, a word, over and over.

A name.

"-ter! Peter!"

Peter's hand flew up, gripping Harley's wrist, who tensed under his grip. He met Harley's gaze, his eyes no longer holding the dead look. They were soft, innocent-how his eyes were supposed to be.

"Harley," he whispered, trying to warn him. "Harley."

"That's me, I'm here," Harley tried to reassure him, unsure why Peter was chanting his name. "Peter, what's going on?"

"Harley," Peter repeated, his voice shaking. "I can't-I can't-"

The Winter Spider was creeping back, forcing his eyes to go dead once again, but not before he let out a soft 'help' before falling back, his eyes shutting close, letting the darkness sweep over him.

~Lyn

Words: 702