Chapter 7

"I'LL SEE YOU IN ENGLISH," Natasha said with a wink as she left Harley by the front door. Her red hair, dyed blonde, was pulled up into a low bun. Her green eyes, courtesy of some color changing contacts, peered around every shadow and corner of the school.

"Hi-are you the sub for English?" A teacher asked, her eyes worried. Natasha nodded and smiled, adjusting her blue rimmed glasses on her nose.

"Yes, I am," Nat said, smiling. "I'm Natalia."

"Jennifer, but call me Jen." The teacher smiled before a thought struck her. "Hey, do you have a Peter Parker in any of your classes?"

"Oh, um..." With a convincing shuffle of papers and confused murmurs, Natasha pulled up a loose leaf of paper, scanning it even though she knew the answer. "Peter Parker...Peter Park-oh yes, I do. Second period. Why? Did he do something wrong?"

"No, no!" Jennifer said hurriedly. "Peter Parker is an exceptional student. Amazing, top of the class-he's so incredibly intelligent. Though there is some sort of strange aura around him-he's too closed off...too cold if you catch my meaning. I'm worried he might be bullying some other children, like boasting...so keep an eye out for that, just in case."

"Of course," Nat said with an easy smile. "I have to get to my class...I'll see you at lunch?"

"Yes, in the staff room." With a quick goodbye, Jennifer left, her heels clicking against the smooth floor.

"Seems like Harley had a good reason to be worried if other people were noticing," Nat murmured as she hurried to her class.

***

When her second period class came in, Natasha (Natalia) Romanoff watched the students like a hawk. She didn't smile to Harley who gave her a quick glance, but kept her gaze focused on the door.

When she counted the last person in, she stood, attendance list in hand. She glanced at Harley who inclined his head toward the boy sitting a couple seats away from him. She gave a swift nod.

"Hello, AP English class," she said. "I'm Ms. Natalia, your sub for today. I'll read out the attendance list, so please say 'here' to indicate you're here."

She started out the list, smiling slightly as Harley gave an enthusiastic 'here' to his name.

"Peter Parker?" She looked up to the boy, seeing the firm expression on his face. Her eyes narrowed slightly as she remembered that look-on the Winter Soldier.

"Here." His voice was monotone, with no feeling. No boredom; no happiness or excitement to be there. No emotion, at all. She looked closer, seeing the light bags underneath the boy's eyes, and was that-she could see a tiny red scar peeking out from underneath his sleeves.

She continued the names and taught the lesson on Shakespeare, keeping an eye on the boy the entire lesson.

***

"Mr. Parker?" The boy turned slowly, his eyes hard as he stared at her. The rest of the class filed out, relieved that English was over.

"Ms. Natalia?" No expression.

"Can you come here for a second, please?" Natasha could see Harley hesitating at the door out of the corner of her eye, and she sent him a look that clearly read, 'get out of here'. Needless to say, Harley bolted out of the classroom.

Peter's hands clenched into fists once, twice, thrice, before he moved to her desk in three strides. "Yes?"

"Peter." Her voice softened as she looked up at him, her lips pursed. "I know, okay? So don't lie."

There was no confusion on his face, though she could see a glimmer of desperation in his eyes. A quick flash, before it disappeared. So Peter Parker was in there somewhere, she mused.

"Peter," she whispered. "It's HYDRA, isn't it?"

There.

There was a spark of emotion in his eyes and suddenly he flew at her, grabbing her arms and flipping her down. She kicked him lightly in the stomach, enough to hurt but not to cause damage. He let her go, his pupils dilated as he watched her carefully as they circled each other.

He threw the first punch and she caught it, springing up onto the desk. He dove for her legs and she jumped on him, her legs twisting around his head, pulling him onto the floor where they landed with a thump.

"Come on, Peter," she coaxed. "You're strong enough to beat him. You're strong enough to have control."

He faltered and Natasha gained the upper hand, her hands tightening around his wrists. "You can do it, Peter Parker. For me, your friends..."

Peter's head suddenly snapped up and he met her green eyes with his terrified ones. "Help me," he choked out. "I don't wanna do it. Please..."

And then Peter Parker was gone; the assassin that controlled him came back, taking Natasha's momentary surprise in his favor, throwing her against the wall. Her head thumped against the blackboard and she fell, stunned.

She heard his hurried footsteps run away.

~ Lyn

Words: 830