Chapter 8

"PETER, THERE YOU ARE!" Harley said with a tentative smile. His eyes flitted between Peter and the English classroom, wondering what happened to Natasha. 

Parker stared at him, expressionless. Harley swallowed, taking a step back. "You okay, man? What do you think about the English sub?" he asked nervously. 

It happened so quick that Harley couldn't defend himself; Peter struck, like a viper, throwing a punch at Harley's face. Harley stumbled back, a hand reaching for his eye. 

"Parker?" he asked, confused. 

Peter struck again, aiming for his throat. Harley lifted an arm to block the punch, feeling a bit proud of himself until Peter kicked the back of his knees, causing him to fall to the floor. Peter jumped on him, his knees against Harley's legs as he loomed over him, a maniacal look in his light brown eyes.  

"Peter," Harley rasped after a punch to the throat. "Don't do this." 

He wasn't sure if Peter said anything after that; his head slammed against the smooth floors and he closed his eyes, giving in to the darkness. 

***

Peter! called Harley, his little voice anxious. Peter! Where are you? I'm scared...I don't wanna play hide-and-seek anymore. 

There was no response, no childish yells or squeaks. Harley's heart beat frantically in his chest as he looked under the sofa, sitting up again, calling. Peter! Peter! 

What's going on? Uncle Steve asked, a frown on his face as he bent down in front of a distressed Harley Keener Stark. Where's Peter? 

I don't know! Harley sobbed. We were playing hide-and-seek and I can't find him! 

How long have you been looking for him? Steve asked, concerned. When Harley shrugged and sniffled, Steve looked up at the ceiling. FRIDAY? 

Harley has been looking for Peter for approximately two hours, Mr. Rogers, FRIDAY replied. Last seen location was on the first floor, the cafeteria. It seems like my connection had blanked out for five minutes. 

Steve cursed softly, his eyes wide. Listen, Harley, he said, I'll tell your dad and we'll see where he is, okay? Stay put, in here. FRIDAY? Can you call in Nat? 

Calling Natasha Romanoff, FRIDAY said dutifully. 

 Stay here, Steve reminded him, and bolted off to the elevator. 

Stay here, stay here, stay here, stay here...

Stayherestayherestayherestayhere... 

~ Lyn 

Words: 378