Chapter 13

HARLEY STUMBLED OUT OF THE VENT, shuddering as the cold air hit him. It was dark out, the moon softly glowing amongst the stars. Peter climbed out behind him, silently and quickly placing the vent into place before looking up at the sky. 

"The stars look so pretty," he mumbled. 

Harley glanced at him. "You haven't seen the stars?" 

"Only when I was the Winter Spider," Peter said truthfully. "So not very well. This is the first time I've seen them as me." 

Harley's heart ached for his brother. "I'm sorry," he said suddenly. "Everything that happened to you...you didn't deserve that. You don't deserve that." 

Peter smiled sadly at him. "What happened happened, Harley," he said quietly. "If we can escape forever...I think that would be nice." 

"Right," said Harley. "Where do we go now?" 

"I was hoping you'd know," Peter admitted. "Where's that Stark Tower of yours?" 

Harley shrugged. "I don't even know where we are. Are we near Midtown?" 

"I..." Peter frowned, glancing back at the warehouse behind him. "I think it's a twenty minute walk." 

"Great, the tower's an hour and twenty minutes away," Harley grumbled. "Think we can catch a taxi?" 

"I mean, if you've got the money," Peter replied.

Harley searched his pockets for his credit card or phone. "They took my phone and wallet," he groaned. "Fine, we'll walk." 

"We better hurry, too," said Peter nervously. "They'll find out we've gone really soon." 

Harley stared determinedly at the trees. "Okay. Onward." 

***

Peter couldn't believe it. 

Just a couple more moments, and he was going to be free

In the darkness, his eyes welled up with tears, making his vision blurry. He grasped for his brother's arm as he nearly tripped over an overturned root. "Sorry," he murmured. 

"What's wrong?" Harley asked quietly, his grip gentle on Peter's wrist. 

"I..." Peter shook his head. "It's really stupid." 

"If you're crying about it, it's not stupid," Harley said quietly. 

Peter smiled up at him, his heart warming at his brother. "I just...can't believe it," he whispered. "I'm almost there...almost. I'm almost free." 

Tears slipped down his cheeks freely, and Harley smiled brightly at his kidnapper-turned-brother. "You are," he confirmed. "And soon enough, you'll be free from HYDRA. Forever." 

Peter smiled, thinking about that; being free from HYDRA, free from its controls over him...that would be ama—

Goosebumps trailed his arms and he frowned suddenly, tilting his head back, trying to use his enhanced senses. Sure enough, he heard snapping of twigs and hushed whispers, an attempt to be discreet. 

"Harls." He grabbed his brother's arm, wide-eyed. "Run!" 

~ Lyn

Words: 432