Chapter 5

"BYE, HAPPY! Thanks for the ride, like always!" Harley waved at his dad's bodyguard, running up the steps toward the school, chest heaving. He had woken up late after a movie marathon with his dad and the rest of the Avengers, and was currently trying to put his arms through the sleeve of his black leather jacket. 

"No shades?" MJ asked from behind her book, her tone bored. 

"Nope. I was running late." Harley slammed his locker shut, holding on to his textbooks. "Note to self, don't do a Harry Potter marathon on a school night."

MJ was silent. Harley sighed. 

"Is Peter here today?" he asked. 

MJ shrugged. "I don't know," she replied. "I don't look for losers." 

"Right." Harley stood on his tiptoes, scanning the crowd. He noticed the doors open, and a lean figure darting inside and his eyes lit up. "Found him! Be right back, MJ." 

He darted through the crowd, rolling his eyes at a couple kissing against the lockers. PDA, anyone? He slowed as he reached Peter, who had a hood on his head and was staring blankly at the floor. 

"Hey...Peter?" Harley asked cautiously, a kind smile ready on his face. 

Peter's head snapped up and he whirled; the next couple of seconds was a blur and Harley suddenly found himself pushed against the wall, an arm on his throat and his lungs screaming for air. 

"Peter? It's me, Harley." He stared into Peter's eyes, suddenly afraid as he saw the murderous rage in his friend's eyes. "Peter?" he gasped, black dots dancing in his vision. 

"Who the hell is Peter?" 

Harley frowned, his fingers reaching for the panic button on his watch, though he didn't press it. Not yet. "Peter Parker? That's you, dude. This isn't a joke. This isn't funny." 

At the name, Peter's eyes flashed with recognition before returning to their deadly look. He faltered, and Harley ripped himself away from Peter's grasp. "You forgot your own name? Do you have temporary memory loss?" 

"I..." Peter's voice changed from the cold, brooding tone and into a high-pitched, fearful one. "Harley?" 

Suddenly remembering what had happened yesterday in the cafeteria, Harley's heart clenched with fear. "Yeah?" 

"Harley!" Peter gripped Harley's shoulder, a wild look in his eye. "Harley, you've got to—run!" 

"What?" Harley cried out, the noise drowned out from the endless laughter and chatter around them. "Peter...what?" 

"Run...before..." Peter gasped, his head snapping straight. "Please, Harley...I can't..." 

Harley. I can't—I can't—

"You can't what?" Harley asked softly, gripping Peter's wrists. "Hey, Peter. Talk to me." 

There was a frightened look on Peter's face, and his eyes went through an array of emotions. He looked like he was internally struggling before his face smoothed into an unconcerned look, but not before he whispered a sentence so vague it scared Harley. 

"I can't ruin your life, too.

~ Lyn 

Words: 476