Chapter 18

HE WOKE UP TO A DULL PAIN IN HIS CHEST. 

He glanced around him, looking at the white walls and listened to the soft hums of machines around him. 

His brows furrowed. 

This wasn't HYDRA... 

Why wasn't he in a cell? 

His heart rate accelerated and one of the machines beeped loudly, hurting Peter's ears. Closing his eyes, he brought his hands to his ears, trying to drown out the noise and pain. 

The door slammed open, making Peter wince. He opened his eyes to see a man wearing a long, white lab coat. His eyes widened. 

"Two..."

Bob's voice lingered in his mind and Peter, through the pain and fear, couldn't think; couldn't see. Everything flashed in front of his eyes and he heard his own screams, own pleas for help. 

"STOP!" Peter cried and the man in front of him froze. "Stop..." 

"Kid, you have to calm down," a female voice from beside him soothed. His eyes flicked over to the woman, and she, too, wore a coat. "You'll hurt yourself." 

"Don't hurt me," he begged her. "Please." 

Her dark eyes softened. "Of course not, Peter. Do you know where you are?" 

"HY—HYDRA?" Peter murmured, and the woman shook her head. 

"No," she said softly. "You are at the infirmary in Stark Tower, Peter. Your father is Tony Stark. Do you remember?" 

Peter nodded as panic slowly left him. "Harley?" 

"He's safe," she responded. "I am Helen Cho, and my partner here is Dr. Bruce Banner." 

"I...And my..." 

Dad? 

Helen smiled. "He's worried," she said. "If you're up to it, we can send him in and you two can talk. Would you like that?" 

Peter thought about it. He would have to meet him later, anyway, and it would be better to just see him instead of avoiding him. 

"Okay," he said hesitantly. 

She smiled. "I'll send him right away," she said. She turned to grasp Dr. Banner's arm and when she reached the door, she turned. "And, Peter?" 

He looked at her and was surprised to see the tears lining her eyes. 

"Welcome home." 

~ Lyn 

Words: 349 

So, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it has been exactly a month since I started this book! I can't believe September is almost over, and October is coming soon. 

I hope you all are enjoying this story! 

Have a great day/evening/night!