Chapter 14

GWEN STACY COULDN'T BELIEVE that Harley was gone. 

He had just been there one day; and then the next, gone. Poof, abracadabra. She still couldn't understand how quickly he had gone. 

And now he was, she missed him. 

She had always loved him, even before she had known he was secretly Tony Stark's biological son. There was something in his eyes, his brown eyes that glinted with mischief and care for his friends, even love—you didn't find that in a friend everywhere. She missed his brown, tousled hair and his smirk; that smirk that had her falling head-over-heels for him. 

Maybe that was why she had been walking alone the city at ten p.m., earphones in her small ears as she listened to soft, sad music that just broke her heart even more. 

And that was why she had been distracted and why she hadn't seen the man grab at her, pointing a gun to her head. 

She cried out but another man dressed in black covered her mouth with a gloved hand. 

"Give us everything you have," the man with the gun demanded in a gruff voice. The gloved hand fell away from her mouth and Gwen trembled. 

"I don't have any money," she whimpered, her heart racing. "I don't have anything...I swear." 

"It's either you pay us in valuables or we'll take something else from you," the man said, and with horror, Gwen saw the lustful look in his eyes. 

Gwen's hand went to her neck, where underneath all her clothes, she wore a locket. It had been her family's heirloom, and she had worn it every day, all the time. She rarely took it off. 

"Hurry," the man beside her growled in her ear, making her jump. "We don't have all night!" 

With trembling fingers, Gwen reached over to take it off, tears springing into her eyes. She held it out, but then suddenly, the man behind her fell. 

Without the man holding her up, Gwen collapsed, her shaking legs incapable of holding her up. The man with the gun fell, too, the gun leaving his hands and flying into the air. 

"Gwen," a familiar voice gasped, and she felt fingers grasping her hands. Gwen blinked away her shock and stared at her savior. 

"Harley?" she choked. "But you're—you're—" 

"Right here," he promised, his arms circling her waist. She clung onto his neck, her tears soaking into his dirty and rather sweaty shirt. 

"Ow," an unfamiliar voice cried out, and Harley whipped around, eyes wide. 

"Are you okay?" Harley asked, concerned as he got up, helping Gwen, too. 

"Yeah," the boy in front of them said. "Just...his gun hit my eye." 

He turned his head to look at them, and Gwen gasped, startled. 

"Peter?" she said hesitantly, knowing that this boy was Mr. Stark's youngest son. 

"Hi," Peter said awkwardly. "Gwen, right?" 

She nodded. The Peter in front of her wasn't the Peter she knew. His eyes were no longer dead but held hope and a young brightness that made Gwen want to cry. His hair was tousled, bags under his eyes; his voice was no longer monotone but young and squeaky. 

"What happened?" Gwen asked Harley, eyes wide. "You were taken...Peter took you. What's going on?" 

"Listen," Harley said gently. She noticed the bruises on his face and neck. "We'll explain when we get to the tower, okay?" 

Gwen nodded. "Okay," she said breathlessly. "We better get there quick, then. Mr. Stark misses you, like, so much." 

Harley gave her a watery smile. "Well, it wouldn't be Dad if he didn't, now, would it?" 

~ Lyn

Words: 600

Please remember to vote/comment/share! 

Love you all lots! <3