CHAPTER 3

SHAWN

I swung open the door to my office and was totally taken aback to find Chase Evans lounging comfortably in a chair.

He was engrossed in his phone until he noticed me, at which point a sly grin crept across his face. He tilted his head to get a better look.

I didn't take my eyes off him as I circled the table and sank into the chair opposite him. He couldn't help but smirk, swaying back and forth in his seat.

"If this is about that KK Enterprises deal, I apologize, buddy. We had an agreement, and it's off the table now."

He was referring to our last meeting, just a week ago. I had a solid business proposal all set to discuss with KK Enterprises' CEO, but this guy casually strolled in and swiped the opportunity right from under me. That's another reason I'm fuming.

"I didn't call you here to discuss about that."

He furrowed his brow, leaning back in his chair.

"Alright, then what's this all about?"

I gave him a steely look, my jaw clenched.

"I heard about what went down between you and my sister during your blind date."

He burst into laughter and turned his gaze to the side.

"Oh, I see. Did she run straight to you to cry about it?"

His cocky tone was grating on my nerves, and my control was slipping.

"Why don't you give me your side of the story? I'll piece it all together and figure out who's right."

He scoffed.

"She's your small sister; obviously, you'll take her word over mine. So what's the point?"

I shrugged.

"Doesn't matter. I want to know what really happened that day."

He shot me a long, measured look and then let out an exasperated sigh.

"She lied to my face. She came up with some ridiculous story to try to get me to back out of the agreement I made with your mother about dating her. She expected me to buy it like an idiot. That was a massive blow to my ego, man. I can't stand dating liars."

I rose from my chair and paced around the table. He looked up at me, confusion and a touch of panic in his eyes.

I began to unbutton the cuffs of my dress shirt and glared down at him.

"Get up." He hesitated and remained seated on the spot.

"Get up, or I'll make you," I warned with a more menacing tone, and he complied.

I faced him squarely, rolling up my sleeves to my forearms and flexing my muscles.

"Now, let's get a few things straight."

Before he could utter another word, I landed a solid punch on his face, causing him to stumble backward in surprise and flop back into the chair, clutching his bleeding nose.

"No one disrespects my family, especially my sisters."

I seized his collar and pulled him up to meet my eyes.

"Another thing, if you ever go near Shay again or if I hear that you're attempting to get her attention in any way, I won't just stop at a punch next time. And yes, that's a threat. Do you understand me?"

He angrily shoved my hand away and glared at me while wiping the blood from his nose with the back of his hand.

I returned to my seat, picked up some files, and got to work without looking at him.

"You know where the door is."

He remained silent, then stormed out of the room, slamming the door loudly behind him. I closed my eyes in frustration.

I took a deep breath and opened the folder in front of me, but my frustration spiked as I read the documents and saw Shelby's signature at the very end.

Seriously, why does she keep causing problems in this company?

I hit the intercom button to reach my secretary.

"Amber, can you come in for a second?"

"Of course, Sir," she replied promptly.

I closed the file and stared up at the ceiling. Shelby was really getting on my nerves, once again acting without my knowledge, probably just to irritate me.

Amber knocked and hurried into the room. I picked up the file from my desk.

"When was this submitted?" I asked, glancing at her with a furrowed brow.

"Earlier this morning," she answered, her voice a bit shaky.

"Did you review these documents before I did?"

"Yes, sir," she replied softly.

"I noticed something new involving my sister in this file. So, tell me, when did she do this?"

Amber clasped her hands and shifted nervously. "I believe it was only a few days ago, sir."

That was all I needed to know. I grabbed the file, stood up, and left my office, heading to Shelby's office on the floor below.

I walked in and tossed the file onto her desk. She moved back slightly and narrowed her eyes at me.

"Did you seriously think I wouldn't find out that you were dipping into the company's slush fund behind my back?" I questioned her immediately.

She rolled her eyes and stood up, taking the file in her hand. "It was for the company's benefit."

I scoffed at her response. "Oh, really? Then please, show me where that was mentioned in the file because I don't see any money being returned to the company's accounts."

She gave me a tight-lipped smile and threw the file back on the table.

"I'll make the transactions once I'm finished with the project I'm working on."

"A project you're working on? So, this isn't benefiting the company at all; it's for your personal gain. You were using the company's money from the slush fund for a mere project?"

She folded her arms, her gaze turning cold. "It's not just a mere project. Everything I do benefits this company, and I don't make reckless decisions that would jeopardize it."

I nodded slowly, sliding my hands into my pockets.

"Sure, whatever you say. But your actions are already on the records, and I'll make sure Dad gets to see that. Let's see how well your project can replace the money you've taken."

With that said, I turned and walked out of the room, struggling to contain my anger before I completely lost my cool.